Kato Track Question

Hi all,

I was in my LHS today and looked at Kato Unitrack for the first time. The package said "No need to glue or tack down! No need for cork!" My initial response was Bull!!! OK, it has the built in ballast, but I have a very hard time believing its just gonna sit there without moving or giving me electrical problems within 2 minutes.

So, I put it to the group: Are these claims true or greatly exaggerated?

thanks,

Ken

Reply to
Kennynovak

It will stay together and not cause electrical problems.

While there is no need to tack it down, you may choose to do so if you are going to keep your layout permanent. If you turn the Kato track over, you'll see nail guides in the bottom. Just take a small drill in a pin vise and drill out the holes if you choose to nail your Unitrack down.

Reply to
Steve Hoskins

As long as you don't paint it (or do so VERY carefully) it won't give any electrical troubles. I use some (N Scale) on staging tracks and no troubles in 5 years (in a cold garage, yet). And it will stay put just fine. Looks are the only issue with this stuff. (Purely subjective).

-John

Reply to
Pacific95

Hi

Wow, thanks for the quick replies! I was very skeptical after reading the package, but now I'm OK with it. I think the issue for me with Kato tracks right now isn't the looks, but the price. Just maybe those lottery tickets will pay off!

Thanks again,

Ken

Reply to
Kennynovak

If you do go with Kato Unitrack (I'm asuming you are in N-scale), and need an oddball curve or short straight track.....get in touch with me as I have plenty of extras and would be happy to send a few to you. Just remove one "h" from the reply address in the header.

Reply to
Steve Hoskins

It's a fair statement. In case you weren't aware, the track sections are held together by plastic clips, and not just by the fishplates (railjoiners), so you shouldn't have any electrical problems. The Japanese often set up huge temporary layouts at exhibitions using this stuff, and it works just fine.

Reply to
Dave Fossett