Ultrasonic machine not working

I recently aquired a,

Sonic Scrub by Clairol Denture Cleaner model UDC-1

which I hope to use for cleaning small mechanical parts but, unfortunately, it doesn't 'SONIC'.

When in the 'on' position, the light comes on but there is no 'action'.

Is this likely to be an issue that I can fix, or do these things just burn out and need to be trashed?

Lewis.

*****
Reply to
limeylew

Yeah... well, it probably DID "Sonic" at one time, but most likely NEVER "ultra-sonic'd".

A lot of those "sonic" cleaners are just 60Hz buzzers glued to the bottom of a thin metal or plastic tank.

A very few low-end jobs actually have the circuitry to generate a higher frequency oscillation, but seldom are they truly ultra-sonic.

Not that it's hard or expensive to generate the high frequency, but a transducer beefy enough to deliver any real power to the pot is pretty costy. It's just my opinion, but I think "no WAY would Clairol be mass-marketing a _real_ ultrasound unit."

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Some of these have a reed switch that is activated by a magnet in the lid. If you don't have the lid, run a magnet around the edge and see if it turns on.....Paul

Reply to
catguy

Fuse?

randy

Reply to
Randy Replogle

The Clairol unit used to be a proper ultrasonic cleaner. I have one, and looked inside! I also have a larger Bransonic machine. Both use a transistor multivibrator, driving ceramic transducers.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

The Clairol unit does indeed have a magnetic reed switch, and a magnet in the lid.

Tip: Never run the machine without water in the tank!

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

On 11 Oct 2006 04:49:54 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" quickly quoth:

Ask Clairol for a refill bottle of Magic Smoke, Lew.

---------------------------------------------- CAUTION: Driver Legally B l o n d (e)

Web Database Development =======================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

You must have fluid in the tank when you turn it on.

Martin Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

No kidding? That's quite unusual. 90% of the mass-market cleaners are just buzz-boxes.

Good to know. That thing was made, I think, back in the 80's, and would be showing up in garage sales by now.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh