SW2004 shaded views w/surfaces not working properly!!

SW Corp,

Who's doing the beta testing??? That's right, the PAYING USERS!!!!

What a TOTAL FUCK UP!!!!

..

Reply to
Paul Salvador

Maybe SW will go from 2500 plus testers to 5000 next release and this will cut the errors in half (dry humor). It would be interesting to hear from some of the beta testers about the existing problems in 2004. Are these and other issues the testers submitted but SW did not implement before release? It doesn't take long for users to find the problems once they really start working the software.

Kman

Reply to
Kman

Search Result 53 From: Bing ( snipped-for-privacy@gte.net) Subject: Re: New thinking in SW.... View: Complete Thread (73 articles) Original Format Newsgroups: comp.cad.solidworks Date: 2003-08-15 16:16:31 PST

"I just got done doing Beta for 2004. I used LIVE data in a REAL world mold environment. I know I contributed to this new release which IMO overall kicks butt.

Bing "

jon

Reply to
jon banquer

Good damn thing you werent testing it swami beaver or there would be more problems than ever. Of course loading the proggie would be an insurmountable issue for you.

Of course ya got nothing to contribute other than to try and discredit people. Once agin you show yer ass and it aint a pretty sight. Git that broom out and keep gittin them chips away from people that are actually working for a living. Thats yer job aint it?

Bing

Reply to
Bing

Kman, I tested the product and I still have some issues with it. Most of them have been noted by SW corp and by other users like yerself. I dont work for them so I am not privy to how they are internally dealing with some of the bugs.

All I can say is that for what I do (designing plastic injection molds) is that I found it to be much easier to use than previous versions for mold design. Now, I dont do alot of surfacing like Paul does so I cant really comment on that as well as Paul. He's obviously pissed. There was some issues I had that were addressed when I brought them up. Some of them to me were just terrible mistakes, others were not as high on the problem list.

But I did use live data and I did actually produce about 5 or more molds in that time period using SW. I was faster in getting out designs and I had no problems with getting art to part with any beta except 3 IIRC.

The biggest issue I have now is that I get SW terminated errors that I hope they fix soon.

Now if you have specific questions about some of the errors in SW, I'd be happy to address if they were ones that I noticed. Thats called discourse. What Swami Beaver is doing is unproductive at best.

He dont like me and I kinda like it that way. :)

Take care, Bing

Reply to
Bing

Bing,

Ditto on the terminated error problem.

Read on and you will find several posts from me on recent problems experienced. Fortunately, they are not show stoppers and I am still using the product to design with.

Kman

Reply to
Kman

Well at least you are using it. :)

I dont use the mold tools. I do things differently. Sure I have some problems with SW but it isnt enough to affect me to the point where I cannot operate efficiently.

Now JB.... He has problems with Etch-A-Sketch.

ciao Bing

Reply to
Bing

SW saves and pockets some serious cash using free beta testers.

Estimate: 2500 testers x 40 hours x $40/hour = $4,000,000 (equal to 3088 annual subscription fees each year) I don't actually know how many hours a beta tester spends on a release but will assume 40 hours is reasonable and the $40/hour rate is average.

Kman

Reply to
Kman

Thats probably pretty accurate. Then again nobody is twisting the beta testers arms either and you do get a slight leg up on being able to view and comment on a future release.

Also, who would you rather pick to do beta? Somebody who uses the software or someone like JB that knows jack about it other than what he reads from press releases? :)

It would be nice to get some reimbursement other than some goodies for submitting the most problems though.

Problem reports and comments are tracked so it should be pretty easy to see who is actually testing the software, the seriousness of the bugs they report and the comments for new enhancments and such.

Bing

Reply to
Bing

"SW saves and pockets some serious cash using free beta testers."

SolidWorks Corp. save much more with an R&D budget that comes nowhere close to someone like think3. Further, SolidWorks Corp relies much to heavily on third part component vendors to do *all the work* for them.

"I don't actually know how many hours a beta tester spends on a release"

You tell me if enough time was spent by the beta tester below. Based on what he posted and his utter lack of understanding of many of the real world problems in SolidWorks the answer is clear to me... not nearly enough.

Search Result 53 From: Bing ( snipped-for-privacy@gte.net) Subject: Re: New thinking in SW.... View: Complete Thread (73 articles) Original Format Newsgroups: comp.cad.solidworks Date: 2003-08-15 16:16:31 PST

"I just got done doing Beta for 2004. I used LIVE data in a REAL world mold environment. I know I contributed to this new release which IMO overall kicks butt.

Bing "

jon

Reply to
jon banquer

"It would be interesting to hear from some of the beta testers about the existing problems in 2004."

We already heard from one "beta tester".

Search Result 53 From: Bing ( snipped-for-privacy@gte.net) Subject: Re: New thinking in SW.... View: Complete Thread (73 articles) Original Format Newsgroups: comp.cad.solidworks Date: 2003-08-15 16:16:31 PST

"I just got done doing Beta for 2004. I used LIVE data in a REAL world mold environment. I know I contributed to this new release which IMO overall kicks butt.

Bing "

jon

Reply to
jon banquer

Bing,

I'm not knocking those who choose to participate in the program, that is their choice and time. It just amazes me how much free assistance SW receives and still cannot get the job done. I don't think for a second the other CAD companies are any better and some worse. Still this doesn't excuse the software problems and to me says something about how these software companies perceive and value their customers. Many of us are getting ready to shell out next years subscription hoping to get a version that works as promised and marketed. If everyone had to shell out their own I doubt many would be so understanding and willing to accept "next release" as a reasonable solution. Don't mean to lecture, just tired of the same releases year after year.

JB (no comment)

Maybe next time they will give something back to all those who contributed in the beta program. Like lowering the annual subscription rate!

Kman

Reply to
Kman

WOW look at those #'s $4 LARGE ones.

Reply to
Arthur Y-S

Yeah, I would guess they saved at least $1 million a quarter or $4 million a year from users prior to opening up the beta process for the

2.5K users... ..

And, you can try and guess what their profits are from that new help now...?

They are gett>

Reply to
Paul Salvador

"I don't think for a second the other CAD companies are any better and some worse."

Perhaps you should think for more than a second about what you wrote above because there certainly are CAD/CAM companies who are *far better* than Solidworks at releasing properly tested software and who do take beta testing very seriously.

jon

Reply to
jon banquer

[ From: jon_banquer (jon snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com) Subject: Re: Proe PRODESKTOP... Newsgroups: comp.cad.pro-engineer Date: 2003-08-09 22:34:06 PST

I beta tested it. ]

IIRC He got the names of both the package & the vendor wrong .

Reply to
Cliff Huprich

You don't have clue one. Post the software development budgets for each, with cites. I dare you.

Moron troll.

What happened to that dumb idiot that was claiming that third party add-ons (perhaps thinking ad-ons) are the wave of the future? Did anyone SEE all the $$$$ stuff 3dinkies needs?

Anyone seen a loose idiot lately?

Reply to
Cliff Huprich

Why dont you go beta test yer new seamless, hybri broom a bit?

Bing

Reply to
Bing