Prop Balancing...

Hi Guys...

Could you give me some pointers on adding / removing material to make the prop balance, when using a 'High Point' type balancer. If, for example, I was to remove material from the tip of the heavy blade to statically balance the prop, would this not affect the dynamic balance by making the blade C of G position different to that of the other blade?... Does it indeed matter?...How do you guys balance props?...

Many thanks... B.B.

Reply to
Bobby Bee

I just use fine sandpaper on the whole length of the "heawy" blade, I only sand it on the back side so it still looks nice and shinny from the front, some props are in perfect balance, others need alot of work :-)

Yours Thomas Scherrer OZ2CPU Denmark

Thomas Scherrer

sand the entire heavy blade. sand on the back. same rule for adding weight to the light blade (with paint, etc.) do NOT modify the tip!

Reply to
jeboba

Thanks guys... excellent!!

That's the answer...take material of the whole length of the heavy blade.

Very best regards... Bobby Bee.

Reply to
Bobby Bee

I never remove material. I spray a light coat of clear poly-u on the front of the light blade. If the prop needs more weight than this, I either take it back or throw it away.

Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

Who the hell cares? Sanding the back may alter the pitch, which is a no-no.

NEVEV sand a composite prop, use the spray-on poly-u method. Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

NO! Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

UH-OH! I've cut as much as 1/4 inch off the tip to get it to balance.

jeboba wrote: do NOT modify the tip!

Reply to
S. Boucher

Never, ever, no way, no how, sand the backside, this info given to me by my guru over 30 years ago!

A recent issue of RCM had an article on properly balancing props and their method shows scraping the front side ONLY!

Reply to
w4jle

Question: If you scrape the front side aren't you changing the airfoil shape and therefore inducing a warp on that side? Joe L.

Reply to
JosLvng