Q-Tee or Cutie kit?

I'm just getting started in this hobby, and would like your thoughts on which of these two kits to buy. I like the looks of the Cutie a little bit more,(and you get a whole lot more in the kit) but the $99 price as opposed to the Q-Tee $49 makes me pause.

Thanks, Ted in Mich.

Reply to
Ted W Lee

If you're interested in a Q-Tee, I'm building three of them now for no particular reason. Do you want to fly with gas or electric? Maybe we can make a deal. Email if interested.

Robbie

Reply to
Robert Reynolds

The Q-Tee is a great little model, I built one within a week of it appearing in RCM (1976?) and over the next few months it taught me a lot about flying RC. That was in the days of larger servos and Rxer's, so todays RC equipment would knock off a couple of ounces. It's still flyable today, I must take it out sometime.

A suggestion if money is tight. It was so simple to build, I'd try to build it from plans and save even more. Actually, I never even did that, I just scaled up a few sketches from the reduced plan in the mag. Partly, that's cheap, but also I didn't feel like waiting 3 weeks for the plan to turn up- It was flying by then.

Then if you want a bigger version later, Doc Matthews published the My-O-My plans that was pretty much a scaled-up Q-Tee.

Barry

Reply to
Barry Lennox

Here's the link to the plans.

price has gone up quite a lot. I think I originally bought my copy in 1992 for $2.50, with free shipping.

Reply to
Robert Reynolds

That was a good deal, I see the original plan was back in Jan 1976 and was $2.25.

Does RCM deliver OK these days? I seem to recall a thread here about very slow service a while ago, no doubt as a result of their closure.

Reply to
Barry Lennox

Thanks to all who responded to my post. The cost of the Q-Tee plan is now $11 plus $8 to $10 shipping. I think I'll go with the Q-Tee kit which is about $50 plus I assume shipping. p.s.- I don't think I mentioned in my original post that I'm 76 yrs. old, and I don't buy green bananas at my age! Thanks, Ted in Mich.

Reply to
Ted W Lee

The only way to make ordering plans worthwhile nowadays is to order 3 or

4 to save on shipping. But then the combined cost of the plans will make your heart stop.

I have bought nearly 100 plans from RCM, but not in the past ten years. I used to send cash in the mail, and I would choose multiple plans to make even dollar amounts, buying 4 or 5 at a time. They didn't charge shipping for folded plans.

Buying plans used to be a significant part of the hobby for me. I wonder if there are any active plans enthusiasts any more. I wonder if there would be again if the prices were to come down.

Reply to
Robert Reynolds