FSM kit#6

Anyone know where I can get one of the latest kits "Skinner's Row"? I can't believe he sold out so quickly. My fear is one person bought 2 or 3 hundred.

Reply to
Falls Prophet

No doubt some will be on eBay before too long, at much inflated prices.

BB

Canada

Reply to
Railfan

Bid is at $399 plus shipping as I type this!

CTucker NY

Reply to
Christian

There's a good chance they did sell out that quickly. George's kits are beautiful, and there's a big demand for them, (I wish my stuff sold as quick!!). What troubles me is the investment factor, I know quite a few people who buy those kits with the expressed purpose of holding them for awhile and reselling at a higher price. They treat the kits like some kind of stock purchase. And because they are making a good profit on this, they continue to do so, making it harder for guys like you to get a copy of the kit. I don't think this is good for the hobby, it seems to me that this artificially inflates the prices of everything, because other manufacturers want to cash in on the same kind of profits. I don't deny anyone the chance to make some money, but it seems to me that a lot of the new products coming out are priced so high it's turning people away from our hobby, and that's bad news for all of us. James F. Hodgdon Jr. Hodgdon Scale Models

Reply to
Hdgdn

It would be really nice to see George suddenly, after a few months or weeks or speculative purchases, put out a whole bunch of the recent model and burn the speculator's butts!

Reply to
Steve Caple

I wonder if even a fraction of them are ever constructed. Particularly in light of the hobby's declining skills and attention spans.

CTucker NY

Reply to
Christian

CTucker posts:

If I recall correctly, some time ago we had a similar discussion on the FSM Forum. Someone there mentioned that George believes that less than half of his kits were actually being built by purchasers. The remainder are being held by speculators or those in fear of losing on their investment by breaking the plastic package wraper and tackling the project!

I have to agree with an earlier poster that this whole scenario (not just FSM kit but many items being hoarded by speculators) will in the long run damage the hobby to some degree.

JB

JB

Reply to
JBortle

Crap! I wanted to get one of those kits but the spare change wasn't in the budget right now. I had hoped George would have them in stock for a while longer. And look at that markup! It listed at $280 and the scumbag wanted $399 as an opening bid, and some idiot gave it to him.

Reply to
Rick Jones

''AHA'' CAPITALISM STRIKES AGAIN.

Reply to