Question: single-axis gyro in forward-swept flying wing(?)

Hi all. This is a re-post under a better heading.
I'm flying a swept-forward FW similar to the XBow and
Bird-o-Prey series. Being extremely short coupled in pitch, it is very
'labor intensive' to fly. I've temporarily installed extended tail booms
and a horizontal tailplane which tames it in pitch. But it detracts from
the 'kool' look. Being an old coot in denial and clinging to the
juvenile 'kool factor', i want to keep the plane tailless for the looks.
I'm certain it would benefit from a pitch gyro in the elevator channel.
Here's the deal-
The swept-forward wing has full length elevons and an
onboard mixer for aileron-elevator mixing. I want to insert the gyro
(single-axis, plane-only, not heading-hold type) in the elevator
channel, between Rx and Mixer. The gyro's action *should* then register
correctly on both elevons. I've been told this will not work, but can't
see any reason 'why' it won't work. So before purchasing the gyro, I
want to run the idea by the collective wisdom of the NG. Thanks in
advance.
Bill(oc)
P.S. Adding expo has been suggested, but this plane would not
benefit from expo. The gyro is specifically what i'm interested in.
Reply to
Bill Sheppard
I can't think of why it wouldn't work, either. In fact, with elevons, I don't know how else I would want to do it.
Reply to
John Alt
| The swept-forward wing has full length elevons and an | onboard mixer for aileron-elevator mixing. I want to insert the gyro | (single-axis, plane-only, not heading-hold type) in the elevator | channel, between Rx and Mixer. The gyro's action *should* then register | correctly on both elevons. I've been told this will not work, but can't | see any reason 'why' it won't work.
I think it'll work fine. If you didn't have a mixer in the plane, it wouldn't, but you do, so it should be fine.
Reply to
Doug McLaren

Site Timeline