Radian powered glider

Just started with the Radian...Got the RTF. Do I turn on the transmitter first, or the receive power. I have read the instruction, but they don 't seem to make which way is the best. I have been turning on the xmitter first, and it seems to link up ok.

I have the Spektrum DX5E DSM2 with a AR 500 REC.

All new to me, I have been a glow flyer for many years, with72 mhz radio systems, and this electric is great!

Thanks Andy

Reply to
Acf

I always turn tx on first then rx when powering up. Rx off first then tx when powering down. Thats the habit I got into with 72Mhz and it won't hurt to do it with 2.4Ghz. I know spektrum has the model match system so there is less chance that the rx will listen to errant signals. With 72Mhz, if you powered the rx on first, there was a chance that it would pick up an errant signal and drive the servos past their limits and damage something. So if you already had your tx on when powering up the rx, there was a strong signal there for your rx to lock onto.

Always be safe and have fun.

Reply to
Vance

Vance wrote in news:itbfgr$obg$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I can say from experience with my Spektrum rx's that on those few occasions where I powered up 'backwards', the model doesn't always just sit there idle. On more than one occasion the prop spun, if only for a split second. I've noticed servo twitching as well. It seems to be just for that split second after power up until the rx realizes there's no signal and then goes into failsafe. It doesn't always happen, or alot, but enough to make you aware.

Don't rely on the safety rope.

Brian

Reply to
Skywise

WOW! Didn't know it would do that. Another good reason to follow the transmitter first on last off proceedure.

Reply to
Vance

Vance wrote in news:itbtkj$39o$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

For reference, this was with an AR-6200 receiver.

I can't really say for sure how many times I've seen it, but it's definately more than once. Not a lot though. But it reminds one why there is proper powering up/down order.

Another thing I've noticed is when I do my range check. I usually walk my 30 paces, power down, and if all is good keep checking while I walked backwards another 5. On a few occasions, apparently when the batteries were low, the plane would 'twitch' as the rx lost the signal. That is, I would see the prop spin up for a split sec.

Unfortuantely my flying career is recent so the Spektrum is the only radio I've had. I can't compare this behavior to any other system, least of all 72Mhz, so I don't know if the behavior is better, worse, or comparable.

I will say, though, that even though the plane 'twitches', it only does so for that split second and then goes into 'safe' mode until it get's its signal. I've never felt my plane was at risk, just my fingers!

Just because a plane is electric, and we have fancy 2.4 ghz spread spectrum radios, you still have to take all the same precautions "just in case". It can still bite. 2.4 is NOT 100% immune to problems.

Brian

Reply to
Skywise

If you turn on the plane first then there is NOTHING controlling the motor, servos, etc. Anything could happen. By turning on the radio first you have control.

Always turn on the radio first. The exception is when binding which I think calls for the receiver to be on first.

ed

Reply to
Ed Anderson

With Spektrum/JR gear if you turn the RX on first and have the bind plug in, then you have to rebind to the TX and set your fail safe again. Once you have bound your RX and TX, remove the bind plug and ALWAYS turn the TX on first.

After the RX is on, stand behind your plane and to a control surface check (right rudder stick input = right rudder movement, right aileron stick input = right aileron moves up, etc....) to ensure you have proper controls and nothing got messed up while in storage, transport, and while connecting everything. Can't express how many planes have gone in due to reversed ailerons because pilots did not do this simple check.

Reply to
rcdude07