Run-a-way Electric Motors

I am an electric newbie. I have been flying gas (glow) for more years than I want to think about). However, I thought that I would try this electric thing. Well, I had a surprise that I wanted to find out if this was normal.

I have an E-flite Mini Edge 540 3D arf (excellent quality, by the way). I opted for the E-flite Park 400 (3700kV) brushless motor and the E-flite

20-amp Brushless ECS. All items are the recommended in the Edge 540 manual.

Here's the nasty surprise:

When I connected these items up and tested the setup on the bench with my transmitter, here's the nasty surprise:

First, all items functioned as I expected (that's good).

I then turned off my transmitter. After about 2 seconds, the motor came to life at full speed! I quickly turned the transmitter back on and because the throttle stick was already in the low (off) position, the motor immediately stopped.

I quickly realized that I had to leave the transmitter ON until I disconnect the battery in the plane, then turn the transmitter off.

Is this normal?

This looks like an accident waiting to happen!

Dick

Reply to
Dick Sutton

SOP (at least for me) has been to shut down the aircraft (engine and electronics) before shutting down the Tx. Opposite is true for the start of the flight. Tx on 1st, then aircraft electronics..

I have the same setup in my Edge 540 foamy (but with the lower Kv motor) and have never seen a "runaway" motor using the above procedure.

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

Yep, I'm sure the owner's manual on the speed control also warns about the ability of the motor to come on at any time under certain circumstances AND that you should always disconnect the plane's battery before turning off your transmitter. I would think even glow guys would know that killing the transmitter first may cause your servos to travel to dangerous positions. The speed control is just a different type of servo.

Jim

Reply to
James Beck

Thanks for the input, guys.

Yes, James, you're right. I always kill the engine before I turn off the transmitter. However, I guess that I'm used to 'turning off' the engine FROM the transmitter, then turning off the transmitter.

I guess it's the 'old habits' kind of thing. I'm just concerned that I have to set down the transmitter (don't bump the throttle). Then remove the hatch, reach in and unplug the battery (don't bump the throttle), then turn off the transmitter.

I guess I could install a switch but after reading a previous thread there seems to be some pros & cons with that approach too.

I guess I just have to adjust...

Thanks again...

Dick

Reply to
Dick Sutton

-- snip --

I dunno -- after reading that thread I was thinking that at least for the planes where the battery is behind a hatch I may switch (as it were) to a switch.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

That still means you are killing the transmitter before the electronics in your plane, not a good idea. Just because your glow/gas motor isn't running so you can't get whacked by a prop, killing the transmitter before your receiver is just a bad habit. I would hate to think what might happen to the servos on my glider flaps if they tried to go beyond the normal travel in the closed direction, and movements like that are possible when the pulse stream gets all whacky when you just kill the transmitter while the receiver is still active.

I can't think of any time that has been an issue for me. I just sit the transmitter down to the side of me, while keeping away from the prop, then open the model from behind if it is a puller and front if it is a pusher. So, even if there is a malfunction, I am safe, and the location of the transmitter makes bumping it very unlikely.

Most ESCs have a small switch that kills the control logic on the unit, effectively killing the unit, BUT you still stay clear of the prop.

It is a WHOLE different game when you move to electrics. Some things are easier, some are harder.

Reply to
James Beck

Never turn off the Tx first. Not even on glow. mk

Reply to
Storm's Hamburgers

Its not unknown with some receivers.

Tell me about it. I always make sure the plane is either firmly secured, or has no prop on when setting up.

after one leapt off the sofa and tried to lawndart itself in the carpet..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Without a signal from your transmitter , the receiver does not know what to do and there are all sorts of signals floating around that it may respond to in strange ways.

Remember this , always ...transmitter FIRST on , LAST off.

This is normal

You bet it is

ALWAYS turn your transmitter on first , and OFF last. Without a signal from your transmitter to the reciever it's hard to say what might happen. Just remember ....first on , last off.

Ken Day

Reply to
Ken Day