Weird problem with new Castle Creations ESC

Put together a new E-foamie Revolution with AXI motor, and Castle Creations Phoenix-25 ESC, all new, with a Electron 6 receiver that had been working fine... Got to the smoke test phase of applying power, and everything seemed to be working for servos, throttle, etc.. Tried going to program mode with the ESC by starting with throttle at max, then hooking up battery to the airplane, and the ESC led is supposed to blink/beep once, then go to program mode. I have a Phoenix-10 that does this perfectly, so I know what to expect. The 25 led blinks rapidly forever, until the throttle is turned down, then it goes into "normal" operation, without ever entering program mode. THEN you have about a 50/50 chance that the motor is switched ON when the transmitter is switched OFF (throttle at min as in normal operation). Turn the transmitter back ON, the motor goes OFF, and it may do this two or three cycles in a row before the motor stays OFF with the transmitter OFF. I returned it to Castle Creations (they're about 1,200 miles closer than the retail vendor) Monday with a full explanation, and got it back Saturday, priority mail, and I thought - Wow, great service! Until I saw it was the same item I sent them, and it had the same problems. I hooked it up to a second Electron 6 receiver in another airplane, same problem - never enters setup, and erratic results with motor ON when transmitter switched OFF.... It's going back tomorrow....... Anyone else seen anything like this with Castle Creation and/or Electron 6 receiver?

TIA, Don

Reply to
CRaSH

A long shot, but make sure your servo trims (and ATV if it's a Computer radio) are set to normal positions/throws. It may not be detecting the throttle as fully up. As an aside, if you have multiple CC ESCs, the USB programmer is a great tool, and cheap too!

PCPhill

Reply to
PCPhill

Nope, plenty of travel all around. Even plugged it into another Electron 6 and a Berg 4 in different aircraft = same thing with no program setup. Really STRANGE thing was that both Electron 6's showed the same nasty habit of intermittently turning the motor ON when the transmitter was switched to OFF (luckily no prop was mounted when this trick showed up :), but the Berg

4 didn't - instead it would intermittently flip the motor to full on when trying to enter setup via. the throttle at max, then apply battery to ESC routine... And the Berg 4 is normally run with a Phoenix-10 that works perfectly.... Oh well, back to CC for another look see........ Only this time it's with a "attn: customer service supervixor" note in the address - I may have just hit some pimply faced high school drop out on the service bench, who hooked it up, ran the throttle up and down, declared it OK, and stuffed it back in the bag.. d:->))
Reply to
CRaSH

I'm striking out all over today! They usually have first rate service, I hope they misread the problem or something. I met both Shawn Palmer and Patrick di Castillo at SEFF last weekend and they are very dedicated and helpful people...

PCPhill

Reply to
PCPhill

actually, there are several more steps required to enter the program mode on these units. it is NOT as simple as starting with the throttle at max and plug the battery in. they have devised a sequence to prevent accidentally entering program mode.

It's all laid out in the instruction sheet

the phoenix 25 is a SWEET control, I have several of them and they work very well.

bob

Reply to
Bob Cowell

I believe the sequence is plug battery in with stick at full throttle. Then move stick to mid point then to full throttle then back to mid point where you can answer yes or no to the options by moving the stick to the top or bottom. At this point the ESC should go into program mode. Each time you move the stick to a new position you should get a confimation sound.

Reply to
kodi946

I can read, and it IS that simple to START the sequence...... My Phoenix-10 also does it exactly like that - and within a few seconds it beeps/blinks once, then starts blinking *slowly* about once a second until you go through the REMAINING steps... The Phoenix-25 I have doesn't even get that far..

As stated, I think I just got a dummy on the test bench and/or receiving department, because the Repair Invoice showed the complaint as: "led blinks on advancing throttle, and motor turns on when transmitter off"

a) The first part was totally wrong, as I told them what I posted here - the led blinks *rapidly* indefinitley when trying to enter setup with the throttle at max and applying battery. The setup problem wasn't even addressed..

b) The second part is an abberation of the original description that the motor turns ON, when the transmitter is switched OFF from ON, with the throttle in the minimum position, as in normal operation... At the time I didn't know it exhibited different behavior with the Berg 4 receiver, but just as dangerous, and unacceptable from any viewpoint!

Obviously with the quick turn around (maybe too quick?), and Priority shipping, it shows they do care, however - I callsem the way I seesum, as Flip Wilson used to say......

But, that's why they put erasers on pencils, to correct mistakes.. d:->))

Not to mention, if you don't ask questions, you don't get answers, so I ask........

Reply to
CRaSH

If you go to

and click on the phoenix 25 and then click on the pdf doc file for the instructions, you will see that the sequence for getting into programming mode is much more complicated than just putting the throttle to high and plugging the battery in.

Here is an excerpt:

8.2 Enter Programming Mode

8.2.1 Remove battery power from the Phoenix-25

8.2.2 Move the transmitter stick to the top position ( normally fully "on" ) 8.2.3 Reconnect battery power to the Phoenix-25

Then, on the next column, same page, it shows...

8.2.4 After approximately 2 seconds, the Phoenix-25 will emit a short tone and the LED should flash a short, single flash followed by a pause. 8.2.5 Move your transmitter stick to the middle position. 8.2.6 After approximately 2 seconds, the Phoenix-25 will emit a short tone, and the LED should flash a short, double flash followed by a pause. 8.2.7 Move your transmitter stick to the top position again. 8.2.8 After approximately 2 seconds, the Phoenix-25 will emit a short tone, and the LED should flash a short, triple flash followed by a pause. 8.2.9 Move your transmitter stick to the middle position again. 8.2.10 After approximately 2 seconds, the Phoenix-25 will emit four short tones, and the LED should start a flash sequence of a single flash followed by another single flash, followed by a long pause. 8.2.11 The Phoenix-25 is now in programming mode. 8.2.12 Proceed to Section 9.0 - Programming the Phoenix-25

This is exactly how my Phoenix-10 works and I suspect all of the Phoenix devices work the same way. Your Phoenix-10 might be an older one that worked differently than all the new ones coming out from Castle Creations.

Reply to
Robert A. Plourde Jr.

Yes, I had the same instruction list IN MY HAND..... MY reading comprehension is fine, thank you, and if everyone would READ what I wrote, it's obvious the procedure was followed per batum (all TWO initial steps :), until hitting the proverbial brick wall. What have I been saying??? It NEVER GETS to 8.2.4!!!!! In other words, you START the sequence with (1) the throttle at max, and (2) power is then applied to the ESC. IF the Phoenix-25 never does (3) what 8.2.4 describes and keeps blinking rapidly indefinitely (indicating it senses the throttle isn't zero at startup), in THREE different models, you are SOL for advancing to program mode, do not pass go, do not collect $200.... One must then assume the Phoenix-25 has a problem, especially when considering one of the models has a Phoenix-10 that works PERFECT with the SAME procedure. Can I get an Amen from the chorus???????

I was just curious if anyone has experienced anything similar, OR the dangerous motor turn on's... If nothing else it's a testimonial to not having a prop mounted until everything is checked out......... However, thanks for taking the time to answer... d:->))

Reply to
CRaSH

OK - I think I spotted the semantics everybody keeps picking on! I wrote " the ESC led is supposed to blink/beep once, then go to program mode", when to be concise it should have read "continue with the program mode sequence after the beep, etc....." even though it was obvious the thing stopped cold at that point... Sheesh, what nitpickers..

Reply to
CRaSH

Reply to
Bob Cowell

Well hell, there goes another nights sleep.................

[jk]
Reply to
CRaSH

So, is it working now??

Reply to
zara

It's back to Castle Creations, with a "attn customer service supervisor" on the address this time.. I'm sure it was a slip up on the test bench, or I've got some REALLY WEIRD gremlins at work...... With 45 years electronic field service behind me, I suspect the former... d:->))

Reply to
CRaSH

maybe you should have sent the transmitter and receiver along with the ESC. I have a CC ESC, same model and it works FB.

jim

Reply to
jim breeyear

That's like saying all my light bulbs work, so yours shouldn't be burnt out - take your house wiring and breaker box down to the hardware store...... d:->))

Transmitter works perfect with other combinations (including another CC ESC!), the P-25 ESC displayed multiple problems with THREE different receivers. Now, what other logical conclusion can be drawan from those facts?? I don't care who made it, or what their record is, everyone has a lemon go out the door on occassion. My primary concern/curiousity was if anyone has had similar problems, and the secondary concern is having the same unit with the same problems (NOT accurately listed on the repair invoice) returned to me. When I get a completely different unit, and it does the same trick, it'll be back to the drawing board, but in the meantime............

Reply to
CRaSH

It would be best at this point to send you a new one before you code. I talked to them at the WRAM show and they seemed to be decent. I dont think they were wizards by any means or out to screw the user. I ould think that the second time it shows up, thats the time to fling it in the round file and send you a new one. It isnt worth the hassel. :o)

Reply to
jim breeyear

Yeah Jim - that's exactly what I'm HOPING!! As stated, with their quick action (although perhaps a little slack by someone in the chain), and extra expense of priority shipping, I don't think anyone was out to "screw the pooch". With no good alternative solution to the problems, I'd certainly want to eliminate all doubt, and get something out of circulation that might discredit my organization - if nothing else, it's just good PR!!! Not to mention, the motor on with transmitter off problem would have great potential for a product liability lawsuit if someone were to lose an eye, etc...!! Oh well, we shall see.........

Reply to
CRaSH

Received a new Phoenix-25 from Castle Creations today:

  1. NO sign of the 'motor on when transmitter switched off' problem..

  1. Tried to go to program mode, and same thing - LED blinks rapidly forever, never starting the sequence... Since this was a new unit, and one problem had apparently disappeared, this smelled like another skunk in the chicken house. Turned the positve EPA ch. 3 setting up to max of 125% on the HiTech Flash

5, and it worked!! Started turning it down; 120% ok, 115% ok, 110% ok, 105% TILT... Left it at 115%, and set everything as desired, and it appears to be working.. If it hadn't been for the 'motor on, xmtr off' problem, and the fact my Phoenix-10 works perfect with the same transmitter at the default 100% level, this might have been tried before, but......... Oh well, you learn by experience, but hopfully it's the other guys experience!!! d:->))

Cheers'n Beers all.. [_]) Don

Reply to
CRaSH

Lesson: Beware of speed controllers smarter than you are. :-)

Red S.

Reply to
Red Scholefield