Want to make an airborn search plane out of my Radian

Want to make an airborn search plane out of my Radian

I don't know if this is the right place to ask but let's give it a try.

I want to create a search plane for finding lost models. I want to use my Parkzone Radian as the platform.

I would need a real time video system for my Radian that would allow me to search for planes that have gone down in the woods by flying over them and looking down. Usually the planes land on top of trees, bushes or in open spaces that should be visable from the sky.

I am NOT looking for a video camera that records for view later. That would not be helpful.

I am NOT looking for a FPV capability. I will fly the Radian in the normal fashion. Someone else will view the video as I fly the Radian. I don't neeed video glasses or anything like that.

I would need a video system that would transmit back to my laptop or some kind of monitor device. Medium res is probably adequate. Figure I need about 1000 foot or more range as I will mostly be looking for RC gliders and we tend to fly high and far out over woods.

This would only look down. I don't need pan or zoom features.

Total weight could be as much as 6 ounces but clearly lighter is better. I would want it to be able to remove it easily. Ideal would be something that I could clip under a wing or tape to the side that looks straight down.

Color would probably be best, but sound would not be needed.

Today we put $150 radio beacons in our big gliders that require a $400 radio direction finder called a walston. The club owns the Walston. But if you don't have a Walston or forgot to put it in the plane you may be looking for the plane for days. And some of these planes cost over $2000. And sometimes we are looking or a newbie's Radian or similar plane and there is no way he is putting a $150 radio beacon in his plane. And even with the Walston it can take some time to find the planes.

I have no other purpose for this other than to find lost models. This is not for FPV flying of the Radian. The lower the price the better as I hope to not need to use it too much.

I have seen systems that cost under $100 on 900 mhz that have about

300 foot ranges. I have also seen systems on 2.4 that claim 700 foot ranges. and there are boosters to give them greater range.

Those might work. But I have no experience with them. Will they interfere with the 2.4 GHz Spektrum DSM2 system in my Radian? How about a 72 MHz system?

I would appreciate any suggestions you could provide.

Reply to
Ed Anderson

[snip]

I would still contemplate adding a "cornfield" beeper in the affected planes. Cheap.

( I found my lost glider in a cornfield by just switching the transmitter off - my motor speedcontroller emits loud beeps if the signal is lost or unreliable. It could be heard from a remarkable distance)

Reply to
Blarp

Actually, a lost signal beeper in an unused servo channel or aileron "Y" cord to used one makes good sense.

Finding a lost plane aerially could be like finding a needle in a haystack, unless out in the open somewhere. The trees and bushes have fingers to hide planes. :-)

Reply to
High Plains Thumper