Radios

Of the three Radio systems,HI Tech,Futaba,or JR. is one better than the rest. I have had more than my share of problems with Futaba.The latest problem is wierd things happening like the throttle operates in reverse for no reason.The problem seems to be in the Tx. This my second Futaba system. I have had it for about ten months. The other one had problems after about two years. Any ideas. Carl Anderson

Reply to
Carl Anderson

This is one of those questions that can't be answered. They're all good radios. The true believers in each camp will swear their's is the best, and you'll hear horror stories from disgruntled owners. Consider Multiplex too! It is owned by Hitec and has what may be the most versatile programming out there, although it's "different" than traditional radios. If I hadn't taken the Spektrum plunge, I'd have bought one.

If you want to use the receivers you already have, go HiTec, JR is incompatible with Futaba RXs.

PCPhill

Reply to
PCPhill

Carl,

I also have a Futaba 7CAP and I've never heard of anything like reversing a servo without a program change.

I had a 'similar' servo reverse but it was my fault. I had two models programed with similar names. I changed the settings on the 'wrong' model and almost got the plane to fly until it got on the field and I increased the throttle...........and the plane stopped on the runway. (shame on me!)

Conclusion! Check your program settings very carefully.

EarlOfTroy (No my wife's name is not HelenOfTroy)

Carl Anders> Of the three Radio systems,HI Tech,Futaba,or JR. is one better than the > rest.

Reply to
Earl Scherzinger

| If you want to use the receivers you already have, go HiTec, JR is | incompatible with Futaba RXs.

The Eclipse 7 allows you to pick your shift, so it can talk to both JR and Futaba RXs. As far as I know, none of the JR or Futaba TXs have this feature.

| > Of the three Radio systems,HI Tech,Futaba,or JR. is one better than the | > rest.

No. All make excellent radios. And Airtronics too.

Multiplex, now owned by Hitec, makes radios that are better :) (and quite expensive, thanks to the crummy exchange rate.)

Hitec tends to make radios that are a little cheaper, and they tend to be a little further back from the bleeding edge. If you don't need the latest and greatest, Hitec is often the way to go, in particular the Eclipse 7.

| > I have had more than my share of problems with Futaba.The latest problem | > is wierd things happening like the throttle operates in reverse for no | > reason.The problem seems to be in the Tx.

That is a very rare problem (unless you count having your TX programmed incorrectly, of course.) It's also dangerous. You should send that TX in.

Perhaps it's losing it's programming somehow?

If you do get a new TX, buy it used, not new -- people are selling 72 MHz gear to buy spread spectrum gear left and right, and so you'll save a lot of money.

| > This my second Futaba system. I have had it for about ten months. The | > other one had problems after about two years.

Odd. I've had many radios by many manufacturers, and the only ones that have had problems have been two Hitec Eclipse 7s -- and one broke when I fed it reversed power (my fault) and the other I don't know what happened, but it was probably abused in the garage somehow.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

Multiplex is not owned by Hitec/RCD. Both companies are owned by the same person but he keeps them separate companies. Although, Hitec does handle the importing and distribution of Multiplex products here in the states.

Also, Multiplex is going to be coming out with 2.4ghz modules and receivers for their radio's. That is according to Mike Mayberry at Hitec/Multiplex USA.

Reply to
Vance Howard

They're all good, just different. If you're SURE the problem is the TX, send it back to Futaba, they'll fix it.

42
Reply to
42

Futaba throttle channel is back to front to all others. That's what servo reversing is for ;-)

Futaba is cheap, and reliable - for me anyway.

My choice would be a Multiplex royal evo on 2.4Ghz, when they get round to it. BUT the price....the price..

It seems to be the only TX where mixers aren't added on - they are integral to the whole philosophy of the system.

You can make any selection of sticks and switches do anything to one or more channels.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

| Multiplex is not owned by Hitec/RCD.

Better tell Hitec that.

In 2003 Hitec purchased German manufacturer Multiplex and became Hitec/Multiplex USA.

And tell them to remove the Hitec logo from

And tell them to remove the references to Hitec from
which are many. The page says Hitec, the email addresses are Hitec ...

And when I called Multiplex support for replacement knobs for my Evo 9 that fell off into the high grass -- Hitec support sent them to me, for free. So the same excellent Hitec support is available to Multiplex users.

talks about why Hitec bought Multiplex -- it's a press release. You might be thinking of this statement --

Many statements have been made by concerned customers and dealers on how the purchase will impact the two companies. It is not Hitec's intention to "merge" the two companies. The Multiplex organization will remain in Germany with its staff intact. Hitec will remain as "Hitec" with its staff in Korea, the Philippines and America. The product lines will remain separate.

But even so, it looks a lot like Hitec RCD bought Multiplex.

| Both companies are owned by the same person but he keeps them | separate companies.

He seems to be doing a poor job of it.

| Although, Hitec does handle the importing and distribution of | Multiplex products here in the states.

That's true. But the Hitec/Multiplex link isn't just a US thing -- the Hitec logo is on

too. And
includes Multiplex logos/links.

| Also, Multiplex is going to be coming out with 2.4ghz modules and | receivers for their radio's. That is according to Mike Mayberry at | Hitec/Multiplex USA.

Yup, I've heard that too. And the XPS modules are out now.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

An intermittant power connection (loose connector/cracked circuit board) can raise cane with a microprocessor's programming. As suggested by others, send it back for a "look see".

I have owned many, many brands of radios since the mid-sixties and all were good when properly maintained. This is not to say that some did not have an occasional problem, but none were hopelessly poorly designed.

I currently own JR, Futaba, Kraft (yep, an oldie), Hitec, Horizon's 2.4 GHz system (can't remember the name!), Futaba's 2.4 GHz FAAST system and Extreme Link third party receivers and Tx modules. All have worked perfectly. As have the Chinese no-name units that came with several RTF models. We live in an age when good R/C systems are plentiful and affordable.

If I had to point to one of the three that you own as my favorite brand, I would have to say JR. I just like the feel of the Tx and their servos about the best. However, this doesn't make them "the best" for you - just me.

Ed Cregger

--------------

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Anyone currently in the market for a good 72mhz 6-channel computer radio would do well to check out the Airtronics RD6000 at

They're offering the transmitter with receiver but no servos for $99.99. The RD6000 is shift selectable and can fly Futaba or JR FM receivers as well as Airtronics PCM receivers.

That's one hell of a good deal on a premium radio system. Hobby People has a limited supply, however, and when they're gone, they're gone.

Reply to
Ed Paasch

Not that it matters, but I forgot to mention the one Airtronics radio I owned and flew for a year or so. It was fantastic and never missed a beat.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger