RC Hovercraft

Hi ppl im making an rc hovercraft for a skool project but i need sum help deciding on motors i need one motor for downthrust which will run a 7inch

3blade prop and the forward thrust will hav a 8inch 2 or 3blade prop on any ideas on what motor to use it must be a 7.2v cheap as possable. Ive tried a standard tamiya motor on the 7inch prop and boy does that move sum air!!!!!!!!! but i want summin a bit betta so that the skirt will hav a higher pressure ill post a cad pic ive made nxt.

Paul

Reply to
Chris and Helen Vivian

These should help you.

Tom

oh ha di ha such a comedian

Reply to
Chris and Helen Vivian

Laugh if you want, but the same disregard for spelling, grammar and punctuation that you use on IM, makes adults think that you are not too smart.

Moral of the story: Know what is appropriate, where, and abide by it, if you want any respect.

-- Jim in NC

Reply to
Morgans

I would suggest you do a search for a company based near here called Sevtec. His plans are for full scale craft but could be scaled down to suit modeling. Plans cost about $8. I work for a fire department which has a full scale "Prospector" model. Have thought of modeling it myself. Is a pretty amazing machine in real life. I am sure it would be a fun model. I am hooked on the 3D aspect of planes and do not have enough interest in a 2D ground machine to actually spend the time making a model of one. I like flying the planes too much, and any time I have to model will be spent on yet another plane.

Good Luck - Check out SEVTEC. If you dont get a hit on the search engine, E-mail me @ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net and I will send you the link

Reply to
Christopher Connor

I would hardily call it fiddling with toys as it is for my as level CDT project and by the way just because I was typing in shorthand doesn't mean I need to brush up on my grammar seeing that I got B at English and English Lit in my GCSE.

Reply to
Chris and Helen Vivian

I should think you kids would be much better off spending your time learning to spell and use correct grammar rather than fiddling with toys

David

PS after you do your school work toys are f>

Reply to
David

Hi Paul, I've noted that you have had 7 answers on this group and not a single one answers your questions!

I've played around a bit with hovercraft and more recently with ground effect craft.

I have found the humble Speed 400 motor to be very suitable for many applications as the can provide a substantial thrust to weight when geared. For you lift fan you might want to try using a Speed 400 Electric Ducted Fan (EDF), these tend to have close running tolerances and so minimal tip losses inside the duct, something that is hard to achieve with hand-made ducts. The fan diameter is only 3" or so but the volume of air moved is still relatively high. See if you can get hold of a Kyosho fan unit out of one of their EDF models and have a look. If you want even more power try a 480 size but stick in a Plettenburg on 10 cells. I have one that gives 40oz of thrust (11 Newtons if I'm to use proper engineering speak).

For the rear fan try an S400 linked up to a mini-olympus or Graupner gearbox with a reduction of around 2.4:1. This should allow you to spin a 3 bladed

8" by 6" prop with ease and provide lots of thrust rather than velocity (oomph rather than whoosh). Use 6v motors on 7.2 volts to get the right power out of them.

The main problem with a fixed fan, as in your design, is that you are lacking controllability when at low speed. You rely on the prop wash to give a significant enough reaction force over the control surfaces to turn the craft, at slow speed the drag from the surface tends top resist this turning force. You might want to use a pivoting fan instead similar to the one used on the full size craft that crossed the channel, perhaps using a servo to turn a mounting that the fan is attached to through, maybe, 30 degrees each way? This would allow a very tight turn to be performed but you must make sure the unit is well supported as the gyroscopic forces could be considerable.

I think that's just about everything covered, if you want any more help on anything feel free to send me a private email. I hope this proves more useful to you then some of the previous responses!

Regards

Dan Armstrong Chester, UK

Reply to
Daniel Armstrong

Thanks a lot i thing im gonner stay with the fin control for the moment just to keep it simple but all of the components are modular so i could easily change the stearing at a later date, but thanks for all your help on motors. ill will look into the ducted fans.

Reply to
Chris and Helen Vivian

try this web site

Naveed Naseer

jack ass number 3

learning to spell and use

Reply to
uriah heep

Give it up. Frankly, if I'd written a letter like that, my old man would first, slap the toys out of my hand, and the chewing tobacco out of my mouth, then lock me in a room with some proper "skool" books. After that we'd have to move across the country and change our name from embarrassment. I admit.... times, and parents, have changed.

But the young man redeemed himself in his later posting.

But I don't know why you have a problem with people who were either , A: Shocked at the product that the school system is passing through, or B: Offered some advice as to the priorities in life (school before toys).

Reply to
Tom