RC Receiver bandwidth

can someone give me an idea as to the normal bandwidth of current RC Receivers? how far off center frequency can the transmitter be and still work properly?

TIA ..Bruce C AA2DD

Reply to
Robert B. Cummings Sr

John Berk

That is the band width of each channel. The frequency deviation limit is quite a bit narrower.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

thanks guys ....... that helps. gives me a good idea where i am. After checking my two transmitters, i was a little nervous about one.

tnx again

Bruce

Reply to
Robert B. Cummings Sr

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 00:12:06 GMT, Robert B. Cummings Sr wrote as underneath my scribble :

You asked a question about receiver b/w but now you are talking about your transmitter spot frequencies it seems - unless I misread you! - A Tx should be nowhere near 10 kHz off spot frequency - you would be causing other flyers trouble on closeby channels with this. I take a guess guess that your Tx should be an abs. max of 2 kHz off centre for a Tx at normal temperature and factory settings for new equipment would probably be tighter than that, I have no detailed knowlege of the required factory specs - you may find that the spec says you should only have any error in one direction! Charlie+

Reply to
Charlie+

Filters are generally about 6 kHz wide.

probably no more than a khz off target for proper operation.

And that will risk screwing the next door channel.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You shoul;d be within abouy 250hx actually. Deviation is IIRC about

2.5khx. The filters are about 6Khz wuide, so correct opertaion has to put the frequency and its deviations withing the spot +- 3khz.

Thart really leaves you only ab=out 500hz margin.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

| Filters are generally about 6 kHz wide. | | probably no more than a khz off target for proper operation. | | And that will risk screwing the next door channel.

... except that the next door R/C channel is 20 khz away, not 10 khz. Perhaps you were only thinking of R/C channels, perhaps not, but certainly most people who read your statement will think of it that way.

The spaces between our channels (on the 72 mhz band) is allocated to things like pagers. So if your transmitter is slightly off, these are the things that you'll interfere with, not other fliers unless your deviation is a lot more than slightly off.

Of course, interfering with these services is illegal. So keep your transmitter in tune. It's not illegal to have a receiver that's out of tune, but crashed planes due to a pager somewhere are bad too, so keep them in tune too.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

Not in UK, but I forgot I was in merkin land.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

| > ... except that the next door R/C channel is 20 khz away, not 10 khz. | | Not in UK, but I forgot I was in merkin land.

Well, I'm not sure where `merkin land' is, but the original poster appears to be in the US.

Looks like you're in the UK -- but I'll bet you already knew that. I guess over there they were a bit smarter when they set up the R/C band. Over here, pager towers occasionally crash planes.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

Reply to
jim breeyear