RC Universe- New Version Comments

Well, I have to say I was a bit trepidatious when I came home this afternoon and pulled it up and it was the new version. During the first attempted conversion I became a bit confused, and didn't really like it. But now after a good hour on it this time, all I can say is WOW- Thanks Mark for the good work. If you can't navigate this, time to pitch your PC and get an abacus. Within minutes I noticed new conveniences, such as pull down from the main thread menus without entering the thread. A little while later, when bidding on a auction item, I found that sellers have the option of only letting address verified bidders bid- IMHO, a great feature, especially when you can verify in about a minute. Should really cut back on the deadbeats! I set my preferences, and now when I go to the forums, exactly the ones I read and in the order I read them. Also, seems to me that the advertising is more "subdued" than before - Nothing was "In my face". Did I mention, blazing fast? I'm impressed- great work.

Bill Davenport AMA 28141

Reply to
badbill

Funny I had just the opposite- half page pop-up ads and the whole site is twice as slow.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Today, it has been fast and it has been slow. As expected, a lot of bugs are being worked on.

As for the ads, they are not really "pop up ads" in that they do not open a new browser. They do, however show up as full page ads between posts. You can set them to show up from every 25 to every 100 posts. At 100, it's not too bad.

Like any new software, it's gonna take some playing with to learn it.

Reply to
JR

I found it super slow also , and it would hang in between pages

Reply to
Tony Law

Bill Davenport AMA 28141

=====================================

I logged in and it took just a few minutes to find the kit building and ARF forums. Speed seems to be as good as any other 'discussion board' web site. In the 'preferences', it defaults a full page ad every 25 pages. This can be changed to show an ad every 100 pages. So far, no complaints.

Carrell

Reply to
Carrell

Got to get a "confuser instructor".

Can't post on forums due to my firewall settings.

Their problem.

Reply to
CainHD

Oh yeah, they redesigned the site so it would be slow ON PURPOSE. Are you bloody daft? There are BUGS to be worked out. You can't implement something totally new on a high-volume site like RCU without running into many unforseen problems. Believe me, THEY ARE WORKING ON IT.

Reply to
Mathew Kirsch

I re-registered today, no problems. Site works good, so far.

Reply to
me

Nice Matt...... I wonder if RCU/Marc likes his moderators to come here on the news group and blast his users and call them "daft" and such?

A simple explaination without the harshness might be more effective......It's just a thought.

Wiz

Reply to
Mike Wizynajtys

When I went to the site there were about 10 for sale items on the whole site, the forums were gone, etc.

Reply to
jeboba

If I wanted to see Adds I would buy a Magazine

Torqueroll.com is the place to be

Randy

Randy Brown Team Airtronics Maac 45752 IMAC 1814

Randy Brown

Well, the people I'm calling daft are no FORMER RCU users...

I'd like to be able to take the moral high ground in this argument. I really would. However, calm, rational explanations of how things really are are summarily dismissed, "Yeah, you're supposed to say that." The only way, IMHO, to get the point across is to sink to the level of the RCU bashers, don my stomping boots, and go to town.

However, I am tired of this. Trying to convince people who won't be convinced no matter what is a futile task. This will all die down in a few days, RCGroups.com will gain a few users, and RCUniverse.com will lose a few. That's the way it is.

Reply to
Mathew Kirsch

Sadly, you just don't get it! The fact that all of the existing for sale/wanted ads and PM's were purged from RCU is particularly disturbing. Especially for those of us who were negotiating a sale or purchase. We now have no record of the transactions and have to start over. That is particularly disrespectful of the users of RCU. It seems there is more interest in raising $$$ than servicing their clientelle. Yep, I'm gone for good from RCU. I may end up at RCGroups or Torqueroll, but definitely not RCU. I loved the old RCU but it is gone.

Reply to
jeboba

Who cares... where was the list of all of the other sites that don't have these stupid bugs, and aren't trying to have a piece of the planes I want to sell?

Reply to
mineeart