Re: building tools qustion

Solotrucker

>sorry i didnt mean to sound rude i was just looking for some ideas on proper >building tools to do the job a little hassle free (no such thing as hassle >free) >before i went out buy a bunch of tools that i don't need to do the job >again i apologize >thanks

Hello again, Trucker,

No need to apologize. That you are continuing to build, even though your first plane turned out to be less than perfect, is a demonstration that you are sincere in your intention to build, and I respect that. And I also think that your quest to build a perfect plane is a legitimate one. By the way, did you check out those links about the fuselage jig, and the wing jig? Those look very good to me, and I plan on building them myself. Right now, though, I'm putting together a magnetic building system modeled after the Lind system, only a little bigger. I got some magnets from Radio Shack, some sheet metal from the Home Depot, and some contact cement to mount the sheet metal onto a board. The board will be mounted on top of my tilt top table. I've also seen fellows stretching a thread to use it as a straight edge. Such a thread could be mounted on a bow in a similar manner to which an archer's bow is made. That would leave another hand free to use a feeler guage. Have fun building. I do!

Michael

Reply to
MichaelMandavil

I absolutely love my Lind system, I have two complete units, but I am finding that I need more area. I plan on a piece of sheet metal sheared with an as straight as possible edge, and a perfect 90 degree edge. That makes a good T-square invaluable for keeping everything straight. As far as other tools, the Master Airscrew razor plane is a must have item. They are one of those rare, inexpensive tools that really work. Bill

Reply to
me

Hello, Bill,

Well, today it is six days since my first rc plane kit arrived in the mail, and I have just now gotten to the point where I am ready to begin building. What I have to build it on now is a tilt top desk, a board on top of the desk, since the desk top itself would not be long enough, and, on top of that board, three pieces of twenty-two gauge sheet metal, which I purchased at the Home Depot. At first I was going to use flashing, which I intended to fasten down with contact cement, although the thicker metal will lay down flat, so I have decided to do without the cement. There is one more thing which I plan on adding to this system, though. I am going to bolt a piece of aluminum angle to the top of the table, which will prevent the board which is on top of the table from falling off when the table is tilted. In the meantime, though, I am all ready to build. I expect for this system to last me for many more years to come.

Michael

Reply to
MichaelMandavil

I wouldn't expect that building surface to outlast the first model, and maybe not even that, particularly if there is any significant overhang beyond the supporting surface (desk top).

The sheet metal itself will bend the board given enough time, because Mother Nature's nasty child Gravity will have his way.

I've gone through several building tables of varying sorts up to and including hollow-core and solid-core doors.

None lasted more than a couple of years before they went 'off' one way or t'other. My last solid-core building table went away because of humidity changes over a three-year period.

Lightweight building tables seem to go away much sooner, so I'm building a torsion box to be used as a building surface. The box will go on a removable set of 2 x 6 legs which will have 'levelers' built into the feet.

The box is reputed to be 'nearly un-bendable' by those who use them commercially, i.e. cabinet builders, general wood workers, and folks who do things like intarsia and other craft-types.

A torsion box is ungawdly heavy and the term 'portable' means "'more than a few grunts and groans" to move it.

They are, however, dead flat, which is what you need if you want to build >straight< models.

I should have built one years ago. Cheers, Fred McClellan the dash plumber at mindspring dot com

Reply to
Fred McClellan