Re: Do not call- waaa,waaa,waaa

snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com (Mathew Kirsch) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

> Let us hope and pray that the government puts a stop to SPAM. > > Yeah, we know that as soon as murder and drug dealing were made > illegal, everybody stopped killing each other and selling pot. Not.

Murder and drug dealing are not comparable to spaming.

Laws on paper are not going to stop people from doing what they want,

NYS started a "Do Not Call" list, with stiff fines for violators, long before the new Federal list. I got right on that NYS list, and annoying sales calls came to a halt. I think I received maybe 2 calls in a year after signing up, and those were early on after signing up. I told those two that I am registered, and if they call again I will report them. They did not attempt another call. It's probably been 8 months or more since I received a sales call of any kind. It works.

when they want, where they want. People get murdered in cold blood in > front of hundreds of witnesses each day, even though it's illegal.

But, because it IS illegal, action can be taken against the perpetrator to make sure they don't do it again. If it were legal, we would have to let them kill over and over again and do nothing about it. Are you trying to argue that we should not bother with laws at all?

Any > anti-spamming law is unenforceable; there are simply too many people > doing it to have some government agency hunt each and every one down > to prosecute them. On top of that, it's so easy to dump your spam and > completely disappear, that most perpetrators would never be found.

Some, yes, but those that are spamming to SELL something can not dump their spam and disappear or else no one will be able to buy what they are selling. You don't have to hunt down each and every one to have an impact. If there is RISK involved in spamming, many will choose not to gamble. As I said, my in-home sales calls have grinded to a halt since signing up for the NYS Do Not Call registry. The difficult part is that spammers can operate outside of the country that has anti-spamming laws.

Reply to
Jim H

Jim,

You seem to not have a firm grasp of what is involved in spamming. My guess is that 99% of spammers do not sell or handle the products they tout. I believe that they are acting as independent agents for the actual product producers. An easy way to tell is place your cursor over the links they provide and you will usually see some kind of ID number or script in the URL. These people sew out a few million emails and disappear. Their ill gotten booty is mailed to them from the companies they advertise.

The only way to stop this is to go after the companies themselves. THEY have to maintain some kind of physical presense for stocking and shipping.

How long do you think it will take before someone figures out some back door method of using call centers in other countries to circumvent the new do-not-call laws?

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

You didn't have to help them Paul! There are on-line operations TODAY that use out of country call centers to deal with technical support issues on a

24/7 basis. That does not make them better, just cheaper.

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

Of course not. However, there are much stronger moral implications involved in murder and drug dealing because they cause physical harm to others. The chickenboners are more likely to send out spam in defiance of the law because it does no physical harm.

That's because it's easy to find the perpetrators and prosecute them. Anyone with a computer and half a brain can write a fake spam message; it's just ASCII text. Phone records are kept on secure servers at the phone company, and I think HOW they're kept is regulated by the government. Makes for rock-solid evidence, and a slam-dunk prosecution. Email is kept on your personal computer, where it can be tampered with. All they need is that one small fact to create reasonable doubt.

No, I am trying to point out that a no-spam law will not stop spam. In fact, you'll be lucky if a no-spam law reduces the amount of spam you get.

Ah, you've finally hit on it. There are plenty of countries out there that will never have anti-spam laws, and will always have open relays. Send the spam from one of these countries, and thumb your nose at the so-called anti-spam law. That's how it'll work.

Reply to
Mathew Kirsch

That's true - in fact, how many of them deliberately conceal the nature of their e-mail already in order to bypass filters you may have in place? The answer is "all of them". I get about ten e-mails a day offering me:

v1agra, a larger pen1s (why would I need a larger pen1s if I need v1agra to get up the one I have now?), lower rates on my "moortgage" (is that like a loan to buy a swamp?), and at least five emails, titled "asdopfui fpqeyry abaftytaq wypposedeled", which seem to imply I can make tons of money by sending out emails titled "aouiayqer adrklaflaqr schmnoopy fliddledinger" out to other people.

No, I don't see the "ADV" convention coming into play for a long, long time...

Dan.

"Paul McIntosh" wrote in news:bdt5vt$etf$ snipped-for-privacy@titan.btinternet.com:

That is what I was talking about. THEY authorized and paid for the spam.

Reply to
Jim H

"Bousch" wrote in news:yrJMa.118715$MJ5.48394@fed1read03:

Not true. So far, in NYS, the law has worked incredibly well.

Reply to
Jim H

Has worked great in TN too!

Reply to
Tim

I use to get about 40-60 spams a day. What I did was get a new email from my ISP and then Only give my actual address to people I know. Then I got a Yahoo account for the occasional person that actually wants to contact me. Works gooder than anything else I've tried.

Reply to
Bousch