Followup on "brake does not work"

This is definitely NOT the cylinder and it is definitely the valve. It is called "Univer AE1001" or AE 1001.

Typical example is this thread from cnczone:

I think that I will just get a replacement if I cannot find a kit.

I will check with these guys tomorrow:

Ignoramus28889

Ignoramus28889 fired this volley in news:l-ydnQiIXscl4PHRnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Ig, most any ARO (Ingersoll) Alpha-body valve would swap out with that one (although it might not bolt down in the same footprint -- a sub-plate would solve that).

Even their ordinary solenoid-operated valves can be easily converted to independent pilot supply operation, if you need to. (you won't at the supply pressure this thing runs on).

ARO Alpha body valves are cheap and reliable.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Lloyd, s, what would be that valve called?

ARO alpha-body four way piloted solenoid valve?

Ignoramus28889

Lloyd, as a second thought, if I can buy a direct relpacement, like for $117 at PLC Center, I would just rather get it. I do not trust that company, perhaps they list things that they do not have (web spamming). I will make some phone calls tomorrow.

Ignoramus28889

Ignoramus28889 fired this volley in news:I7KdnfkJsu7ZH_HRnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Ig, I haven't looked at that pneumatic circuit yet, because mine works.

I don't know if the valve is "internal pilot" or "external pilot supply". If you buy the internal pilot version, it's an easy job to convert it to external pilot supply if necessary.

Otherwise, that description sounds right. MSC sells them. You need to specify the solenoid voltage, and internal or external pilot (likely, they don't stock the external versions, and will sell you a conversion kit which is a screw and a washer).

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I opened the valve up, taking copious pictures. I do see that one seal inside seems to be completely broke. It seems to be made of yellow polyurethane or some other yellow translucent material.

Ignoramus28889

Ignoramus28889 fired this volley in news:QMqdnSaBgvoJF_HRnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Seal? O-ring? Cup? Not all "rubber" (not counting urethane, which is an aliphatic plastic resin) o-rings are black. 'could be urethane, but that's a material that doesn't like sliding friction as much as Buna-N or Neoprene.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Pictures are very high resolution.

Ignoramus28889

Ignoramus28889 fired this volley in news:8b6dnRQ9ncHvCPHRnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Yeah... sigh... that is urethane, and it is a "cup" (in a sense... it sure ain't an o-ring).

Time for a rebuild kit or a replacement valve.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Yes..they are very high resoluton. I have a program called Zoom running on Firefox..and I was able to blow those up 800% without loosing any detail. Nicely done. Too bad you didnt focus on the valve, but on the case behind it.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

New seals would cost you only a few dollars. Unless you see significant wear in the valve, there is no reason to scrap it.

Reply to
Pete C.