Aluminum foil

I need some Al foil that is .0025" thick. I contacted Reynolds and specifically asked for this and got back the following:

--------------------------------- Following are the gauges for Reynolds Wrap® Aluminum Foil: Inches Microns Standard Reynolds Wrap .00064 16.256 Heavy Duty / Heavy Strength .00093 23.622 Extra Heavy / Super Strength .00137 34.798 The standard tolerance on the above is: +/- 10%.

--------------------------------- Customer disservice at it's best.

Does anybody know how thick their Grill wrap is? Any other source for .0025" foil? Google returned nada that was useful.

I could use somewhat thicker foil but it has to be aluminum as it will be in contact with the aluminum evaporator of a refrigerator. It sits between the defrost heater and some styrofoam and acts as a heat spreader/shield so I don't think I can use multiple layers of a thinner foil. Whirlpool has discontinued that part number. Thanks Art

Reply to
Artemus

A cola can is about 0.004". Thinner with the logo stuff removed...

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

McMaster-Carr will happily sell you 0.003". Other places will custom-roll you some, but you better have a lot of fridges to repair to make that cost-effective. Hint - it's shim stock, not foil. Foil, as you might gather from what Reynolds told you, is Really Thin.

Width x Length

6" x 24" 9536K12 $4.46 12" x 24" 9536K32 $7.65
Reply to
Ecnerwal

"Customer disservice at it's best." - why, because they didn't offer to=20 run off some .0025 for you? I think you got more than one would expect=20 from a mass market consumer product maker.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

I neglected to mention I need a piece 9" x 21.5". Art

Reply to
Artemus

Thanks. I hadn't thought of shim stock. It's kind of pricey but a good alternative. Art

Reply to
Artemus

You are not looking for "foil" you are looking for "shim stock" - which is generally available only in full thou thicknesses - unless you get metric, where .060mm would be pretty close (.00236") Inch stuff is generally available in 6" width. Artus has it in larger sizes - colour coded for thickness identification. American Metals can supply any size you want - metalshims.com Shopaid can also supply any size and width you want.

You don't say what you need it for - shim stock usually comes fully hardened and you may need to anneal it.

Reply to
clare

Try arts supply shops they often have much thicker foils that are used for embossing . I've seen aluminium and copper and brass.

Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Inches =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Microns

What about a disposable turkey roasting pan from Walmart?

Reply to
kfvorwerk

Why would brass or stainless steel not work?

As others have suggested, shimstock comes in all thincknesses, and brass comes in many thicknesses.

Heat treating foil is 0.002" stainless.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

So how much thicker can it be? The local metal supply place has aluminum in .032. While over ten times the thickness, I suspect it would fit and work well. Or go to Lowes or Home Depot with a micrometer and check their aluminum flashing for roofing. I think it is fairly thin, but much thicker than aluminum foil.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

" snipped-for-privacy@krl.org" wrote in news:9546a688-1dc0-4fd2-bba9- snipped-for-privacy@f42g2000yqn.googlegroups.com:

The flashing I've used runs 9 mils to 15 mils, depending on who makes it.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

Bingo! I picked up some flashing this afternoon that measured just under 8 mils. Thanks to all who responded. (for some reason I didn't see the original post by snipped-for-privacy@krl.org) Art