Harbor Freight - NO PRIVACY

I have, on occasion, purchased from Harbor Freight. Today I got a call from a credit card telemarketer saying that they got my name from Harbor Freight. Their statement, on their web page, that your information is for order processing only and they do not release it to third-parties is an out-and-out lie.

If you value your privacy, DO NOT BUY FROM HARBOR FREIGHT!

Reply to
js148

Do not give them your email address.

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

How does that prevent them from calling you?

Steve.

Reply to
SRF

Have you contacted Harbor Freight? _Perhaps_ someone in their employ who has access to your info is, _contrary to their policy_ releasing/selling/providing that info to outside telemarketers? Express your displeasure to HF...politely, and see what they say.

DexAZ

Reply to
DexAZ

If you haven't already sign up for the do not call list. Damn sure worked for me.

Respectfully submitted,

Loren Knighton Woodland, CA.

Under the hood since 1964 Member TRNI IATN

BACKNCARDR

If you value your privacy, do not give out that information. .......... DUH ....................

I have had retailers ask me my phone numbers. If it is a cute little gal, I usually have some fun with it. If it is a dowdy frump, or a male, I say, "Sorry, I'm married", or "Sorry, I am not gay." Or, if I just want them to get the message, I say, "555-5555." Some give me a second look. Some enter that number.

I can understand why they ask for your zip code, but phone number ...........?

And, I have NEVER had a telemarketer say where they got my phone number.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I love messing with people who still call. I will drag them out for fifteen minutes until they catch on. Asking them to repeat themselves. And repeat themselves. And repeat themselves. And interrupting, asking them what color underwear they have on. Or to tell them I had a dog named Skippy, but he died of microwave exposure. Or that I like broccoli. And then ask them to start over. Or, I just act really interested, and ask their name, their company's name, their city, phone number, etc. Then I tell them I am on the do not call list, and the next time I hear from them, it will cost them a federal fine of $11,000.

Trouble is, I don't get a lot of calls any more. Guess that do not call list is working. Or my actions are making them drop me from their list so as not to waste time.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

There is a Harbor Freight credit card that gives points on purchases toward purchases of items at Harbor Freight. They give twice as many points for purchases from HF as for other purchases.

I haven't signed up, but I did receive such an offer through the mail.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Hartzell

I never said it would. It will prevent a boat load of spam in your email account however. They don't respect any privacy.

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

Some use the phone number as a file code so they can look up your order or for a mailing list. Our local video rental uses the phone number when doing the rental thing. Others use it to identify you to the customer service rep when you call. It is couples with caller ID and as soon as the CS person gets the call, they have your information on the screen available.

Most times I prefer not to give it or use a bogus number. OTOH, if you have a special order and they need to contact you . . . . . Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I lived in student apartments where the phone service listed each occupant so we received 4 calls for every solicitation. One time, about the third call, I was working on physics homework. They were selling one of those coupon booklets and their clever sales spiel was to read each coupon off. So I would pick up the phone after finishing a problem and say "oh? Hmm" and set the phone down. Must have gone on for 20 minutes.

Joel. phx

"are you wearing panties,...?" >:)

Reply to
Joel Corwith

||Some use the phone number as a file code so they can look up your order or ||for a mailing list. Our local video rental uses the phone number when doing ||the rental thing. Others use it to identify you to the customer service rep ||when you call. It is couples with caller ID and as soon as the CS person ||gets the call, they have your information on the screen available. || ||Most times I prefer not to give it or use a bogus number. OTOH, if you have ||a special order and they need to contact you . . . . .

Also some stores use your phone number to code sales. I bought a shirt for my dad at a Men'S Wearhouse store a few months ago. It didn't fit, wife took it back. We had given them a made-up phone number, and could not remember what we told them. They refused to exchange the shirt. I drove down there with the actual receipt and got the job done. Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

Thats usually my standard reply to those telemarketers. What color panties do you have on, whats your chest size, do you give head etrc etc etc.........sometimes however you would be surprised on what some reply back. But its been a while since we have been plagued by telemarketers, so maybe that no call list is working for the most part. Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wifes, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy

You know, this one just doesn't ring right. I mean, a $5.50 an hour telemarketer knows where the company they work for got your name?

Come on. You're a liar right?

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Reply to
George

Citibank has a card that gives a point for every dollar and 5 points for every dollar spent at grocery stores, gas stations, and drug stores... 5000 points = $50.00 in gift certificates to well know places like Home Depot Sears, JC Penney, ect.

Reply to
Leon

"SteveB" wrote in news:f_rsc.5215$_o.871@fed1read05:

Discount retailers tend to do this in order to increase their revenue streams, unfortunately.

Reply to
Woodchuck Bill

In Canada, Canadian Tire has a master card that does the same thing. 1 cent on every dollar purchase no matter where and more if it is a Canadian Tire purchase. So far I've got over $700 worth of free stuff from them and because I pay the bill every month haven't paid a cent of interest. Air miles I don't need but free toys from their tool dept. every so often is a great deal.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Gibson

I had the idiot phone company call the other day. I told them I was on the do not call list, and they informed me, probably correctly, that since I was a customer they had the right to call me.

I quickly pointed out that if they wanted, I could fix that problem. They haven't called back.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Peter T. Keillor III

They certainly sell their mailing list. I had a new mailing address and started getting tons of tool etc. catalogs (many of them interesting, some not) after ordering a couple of little things from them.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany