Re: Downwind Fish

There is no such thing as centrifugal force, only inertia.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

OH YEAH?? Then how does a CENTRIFUGE work??? ;^)

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Umm- no, the only intrinsic quantity is intrtial mass. Time is quite relative, thus velocity, acceleration, angular momentum- anything which is defined by motion-- is relative *per se*.

Posit an elemental particle alone in the universe. It could have mass, charge, and (perhaps) strangeness, charm, etc.) but no angular momentum, velocity or spin. It is debatable whether it would have a temporal aspect, as without motion, there is no cause, ergo no time. :)

As to whether the "gravity of the universe" creates a reference to define absolute motion (or angular momentum) is something the unified field theory would address, if it is ever derived. As MY physics mentor said when at age 25 I asked, "What is the duration of the present?": "You need a license to fish in those waters. And you don't have one."

Reply to
TexMex

No, it works in the middle of space where gravity is null. Or in free fall.

Its the acceleration that is the key, but the acceleration relative to what?

Its teh same as in a car (or in your cae a bike) why do your arms get stretched when you open the throttle, when its as reasonable to think in terms of the earth accelerating backwards with respect to your bike, as the other way around.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yup. However from a rotating frame there appears to be centrifugal force. Its a way of expressing teh forces from a rotating frame of reference.

The point is that there IS and absoulute inertial farme of reference . Stuck between the stars you would not know whether you were travelling at a given velocity with respect to the rest of the universe, or not. But you could tell if you were rotating with respect to it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

This whole discussion is abit FISHEY I think.

Ken Baker

Reply to
Ken Baker

I think you have disappeared past my own comprehension anyway.

It is a curiousity tho. A sort of living proof that relativity in the Newtonian sense is immediately seen to 'not fit'. Almost teh simplest experiment that indicates where Newtonian THOUGHT (not Newtons theories, because he never claimed otherwise) simply doesn't fit the bill. Any movement of anything anywhere peturbs the gravitational 'field' we experience, and therefore is, in principle, detectable. Weird.

Asking that question, along with seeing a light dot shift when the mirror in the school Michelson Morley spun up to 130kRPM...and seeing my first laser...all these things lead to a rather awestruck view of the Universe, and a commensurate acceptance of the limitations of human thought trying to map it..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher