Re: Getting new Norvel 0.061 engine working...

Hi again Andrew, Thanks - excellent advice, and a great link to the Novel site.

Will persevere!

James

James -- > > All displacement NORVELs ship with a pressure tap installed on the > muffler -- this is also common for most brands of engines today. The > purpose is to pressurize the tank while the engine is running. The > downside is that if the needle valve is open enough to get a new engine > to start, as the tank pressure comes up with the engine running, the fuel > mixture may richen to the point of stopping the engine. Some new NORVELs > may not run long enough at first for you to needle the engine to stop > flooding. So with a balky engine, I will usually try starting without > pressure -- if the engine is really being nasty, I will remove the > muffler and port prime much the way we did with the COX engines. > > Initially, the engine may run on prime only -- as you are preparing to > start the engine, be sure you have fuel in the line all the way to the > carb. With a low tank, it may tend to siphon back -- or conversely, with > a high tank, flow into the carb. Continue your approach of using your > finger over the mouth of the carb and flipping thru to pull fuel into the > line. You cannot turn these engines slowly -- interestingly, and I have > absolutely no explanation for it, these engines will flip thru TDC, but > will lock at the top when the piston is slowly raised. As I noted > before, I've seen a large number of NORVELs showing up at swap meets > with plier marks -- always use a prop to turn it thru. My response is, > "Is that engine locked up? Will you take $3.00 -- I'll use it for > parts" and I'm thinking if they haven't bent a rod, this engine will be a > real runner. > > Some folks will use a starter to spin the engine cold to reduce the TDC > friction -- all this does is reduce engine life because of the wear > occuring below running temperature -- hand flipping a hundred times or so > is all I ever do -- but only with plenty of oil -- I use air tool oil, > but any good lubricant or automatic transmission fluid will suffice (not > WD40). > > I like the heat gun approach just because it adds enough heat to get the > cylinder to expand and help get over the initial friction so the engine > will start -- you want breakin to occur at running temperature -- not > free up the piston/cylinder fit while cold. > > Attached is a link into the NORVEL tech site -- there is a lot of good > info there and it has been developed by folks running the engines, not > someone pounding the keyboard. > > As I posted before, don't give up -- some engines can be "really" hard to > start the first time -- think of it as perfecting your hand flipping > technique ;) > >
> Andrew > > > > What do you mean by 'pressure' - pressurised tank, or some other > > trick? (Sorry if I'm being thick here!) > > > > James > > > > > > >
Reply to
James