Re: if im going the speed of light will turning my headlights on make any diference

Hi Dave

In 1935 Erwin Schrodinger proposed an experiment in which a cat was somehow both alive and dead at the same time. Schrodinger imagined that a cat is locked in a box, along with a radioactive atom that is connected to a vial containing a deadly poison. IF the atom decays, it causes the vial to smash and the cat to be killed. When the box is closed we do not know whether the atom has decayed or not, which means that according to quantum theory it can be in both the decayed state and the non-decayed state at the same time. Therefore, the cat is both dead and alive at the same time.

I don't really understand it, but I think it is a bit like buying a new aircraft kit. When the kit arrives through the post, you are not sure whether your wife is going to kill you or not until you open the parcel!!!!!!!

Regards

KGB

Replace "for" in "careforfree" with 4 - the rest should be obvious!!

Reply to
KGB

Um, yes, I was aware of it; perhaps my link to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle was a little too tenuous? ;)

Dave S.

Reply to
David Smith

-c

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, your own stupid face gawking at you.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Its usually a safe bet... As for the cat, well...i can only hope for atomic decay...

8)

Reply to
MikeF

The speed of light is constant and is used in modern aviation navigation systems to replace gyroscopes in the instruments that tell the pilot what the attitude of the airplane is when he can't see anything (in cloud and so on). Laser light is bounced around a path within the box in opposing directions, and rotating the box will cause a measurable change in the time the light pulses left the generator to the time they hit the pickups. This difference is computed and fed to the pilot's displays as changes in roll, pitch, and yaw. Electricity travels in a conductor at the speed of light. If you were driving at the speed of light and turned on the headlights, would the electricity even be able to run forward from the switch to the headlights, or would this be as impossible as it is for light in the laser instrument box?

Dan

Reply to
Dan Thomas

I thought electricity was just sub-light speed...?

Reply to
MikeF

Guys,

scroll down.

Reply to
D. Anderson

Why do you want to spoil a perfectly dumb thread like this with facts?

Tom

Reply to
Tom Johnson

Hi Dan

Regards (relativately speaking)

KGB

Replace "for" in "careforfree" with 4 - the rest should be obvious!!

Reply to
;d;o;t;

Nah. Electricity IS light. Or rather EM radiation is both.

Speed depends on waht its travlling through tho.

Light in fiber is slower than light in vaccuo, but not much.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Electricity is the movement of electrons but because electrons have mass they can't move at the speed of light. They do move through a wire but very slowly. What happens is that when one moves it's electrical field is felt as a "push" against the next electron and this "push" gets propogated along the wire at close to the speed of light.

In a laboratory they've finally managed to slow light down to a complete stop.

Brian Hampt> MikeF wrote:

Reply to
Brian

Well that is one way of looking at it to be sure.,

However EM radioation is NOT the movement of electrons, and indeed, can exist in their absence.

Mmm.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hey, its all done with mirrors:-))