Re: Thoughts on an electric fan powered B-52

The chances of you getting quality help with a project like this will be better if you wander over to the electric section of

Good luck!!

I work on B-52's (G's back in the day and still working H's), been working >on them for almost 13 years now, love 'em to death. 50 years old and stick >kicking... > >Anyways, I've been thinking/planning an R/C B-52 for quite awhile now, more >than 7 years now, and I'm finally in a position to start building the thing >this winter. > >Recently I've come across a few of those electric ducted fan engines used to >power those electric Kyosho models, F-16, T-33, I think that's what they are >anyways, and I found them at TowerHobbies web site, found out I could >actually order the fan units, motors, etc. seperately from the planes >themselves! > >Short story made long :), here's some general spec's of what I've got >planned out so far: > >All measurements aquired from a Monogram B-52 model and enlarged a bit, so >my plan comes out to about 1/30th scale, wing chord (root and tip) increased >about 15-20%, giving me roughly 15% more wing area than true-scale, less >sweep than the real thing, figure maybe 20 degrees (maybe more) instead of >36 degrees, slightly thicker wing than scale, semi-symetrical airfoil (I had >planned on copying the airfoil dimensions from my SkyTiger for simplicity), >72 inch wingspan, 15-20% larger for horizontal/vertical stab's, split >full-span ailerons (even though the G's & H's didn't have ailerons), with >flaps in between, with working spoilerons, going to try to work in some sort >of retractable/steerable/crab-able gear like the real thing, etc. and if >I've got room maybe some sort of bomb drops, both in the bomb-bay and out on >the wings. >I was thinking about using 4 of those ducted fan unit mentioned earlier with >the battery packs in the fuse somewhere on the top of the bomb-bay in a >sort-of replacable box for swapping out battery packs, 1 fan unit in each >engine pod with a dummy unit next to it, or maybe put all 4 units in the >inboard pods and leave the outboards pods as dummies (less wiring to run I >suppose and lighter). > >Taking an average "heavy" plane with a wingspan of about 6ft, this thing >would weigh around, ohhh, 10-12 lbs, probably more, hopefully less. > >Any thoughts on whether or not 4 of these electric ducted fan units would >pull such a model around the air? How well they may/may not work? >After all, when you really think about it, the model would just be a heavier >than normal, high-mounted, swept-wing trainer...at least that's how I'm >trying to talk myself into it :) > >JDG > > > > > > > >

remove my-wife to reply :-)

Reply to
Icrashrc

I think the problem you'll start running into is the scale of the ducted fan units versus the scale of the actual airplane's turbofans. A top-of-the-head guess would be that, to make the fan units you're looking at scale to the model, you'd have a model with about a 12-foot wingspan.

There have been a few EDF BUFFs done. The previous suggestion to check the electric foruam at RC groups should get you on the track of some of the previous project people have attempted.

Moe

Reply to
Moe Blues

Roger on the burning shame. I may get that good at building and finishing, but I know I'll never have the patience for it! JDG

Reply to
Jeremy D. Grotte