Re: Yet another battery soldering question!!

> Posting from Google? See
> "Applied Control Theory for Embedded Systems" came out in April. > See details at
Forrest

| So, which direction does the juice flow? From the negative pole-cable, | through the frame and components and back to the positive pole on the | battery, or the other direction?

Either view is as accurate as the other. You could say that electrons flow from the minus to the plus, or that holes flow from the plus to the minus.

covers the question in some detail, and will probably leave you more confused than when you started :)

Ultimately, there is no fundamental reason why a negative ground is better than a positive ground or vice versa -- it just doesn't matter. However, it is convenient for there to be a standard, whatever it is, just so that gear can be designed appropriately.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

Either, neither, or both. Depending on how you interpret what 'flow'

*means*, when considering electricity..
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Or that nothing is flowing at all, or that both are flowing in opposite directions simultaneously.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well back long ago, when I first learned about electricty from an Electricians point of view current was defined as flowing from positive to negative!

Later on when I studied electronics from an Electonics Technicians point of view current was defined as flowing from negative to positive!

Basically depending on you point of view (in the case of simple circuits as RC battery hookups) either can be correct as long as you remain consistant.

Reply to
Roy Minut

Hi

I have this vague idea that I once read somewhere that one way round (I forget which one) increases the chance of corrosion through electrolysis.

I would speculate that it is negative earth that increases corrosion which is why modern cars use it; they rust quicker, hence increase the profits of car manufacturers - or am I just being cynical 8^)

Regards KGB

Reply to
KGB

IIRC the main reason to move to negative ground was the uptake of

*silicon* transistor radios and other electronics. These naturally tend to be somewhat simpler and cheaper with negative ground.. Germanium which tended to use PNP rather than NPN technology, preferred it the other way round..as far as valve car radios went, negative ground again..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

From Roy M.:

circuits as RC

consistant.

Ever since Franklin the concept of "flow of charge" has been opposite to the literal direction of electron flow. Not to mention that the term 'electric flow' (as in a wire) is not the same thing as _electron flow_ (as in a vacuum tube). For anyone interested in the deeper arcana of the subject, here's an excellent, if somewhat lengthly treatise on it =96

Bill(oc)

Reply to
Bill Sheppard

Wow, what a web site! Talk about where to learn what's what and what's not! Thank you so much for posting that. I have just started to delve into it and can see that it's going to be a feast to be savored and consumed slowly, like a finely cooked meal. I have a lot of meat on my plate.