realflight g2 and the interface cable to your ratio tx

I've got my radio, a futaba 6exa with the 6 pin square connector and I wanted to connect it to the realflight g2 simulator or other.

I found this link

about a cable that you can do this with.

Can anyone tell me does this work any better than the interlink controller? Do you have to run (power on )your tx while using this thingy? battery use? It comes with a flight sim--- is it any good ? should I just use that ?

are there any other drawbacks to purchasing this 50$ item that I should know about?

I am happy to get answers about this product and thank all the contributors.

Reply to
MartianSand

I have the G2 and have used it with my HiTec Eclipse with no problems. If you are going to use the computer functions of your radio, this works just fine. If you are just going to use the standard 4 ch set up, use the interlink controller as it will handle most flying just fine.

Yes, your tx must be powered up. It will drain at the normal rate as it "sees" no difference to flying a computer or an AC.

Not sure what you mean here. The G2 is a flight sim with a controller and all the requisite software. All you need is a USB port to plug the interlink controller into.

If all you paid is $50, you are about $150 ahead of everyone else.

Thank you

Jim W.

Reply to
Black Cloud

Try theses two links, they will help

I built a cable for my Hitec and use it with FMS. Works great. I'm sure your Futaba shouldn't be much different.

Reply to
The Raven

Good practice should say you should remove the crystal, or module if you can (I know Americans are not allowed to) to reduce battery consumption.

My Field Force 7 lasts for weeks on a charge when it's in sim mode and not transmitting

Reply to
Gavin

Hmmm this seems really interesting .....

so one can build a parallel port interface for the realflight g2 software to a futaba 6 pin 6exa port for only a few bucks.....

the store bought one for 50 $ us is a nice item but the realflight interface unit is only 80 $ and if on sale it's maybe a better deal

ahhhhh Christmas present time .. what to do ??

Reply to
MartianSand

I also found these two products that can do this job..

Has anyone any experience with them?

one is a serial port to 6 pin futaba

the other is a game port...

I'm tending more to game port because of the greater resolution and data throughput

yet the serial port is on every machine ---- free

comments?

Reply to
MartianSand

Where is the usb port version of these things?

Reply to
Steve Banks

Cost me less than $6 AUD, excluding the soldering accessories I already had. You need to download a driver called PPJOY (Parallell Port Joystick) which is free and designed for R/C radios.

It's a matter of how much money you have and whether you can bother making one. For me, it was so cheap as to be a no brainer.

Real Flight has far better graphics than say FMS. Don't want to sound like a cheap skate but when you compare prices and features it's hard to beat free...

The question is how much graphics detail do you need on a virtual aircraft

100m from your virtual eyes? Do you really need to see minute deflections of the flight controls?
Reply to
The Raven

How much resolution and data throughput do you need for a joystick? I'm sure the volume would be insignificant compared to what the parallel port can handle.

Lots of options out there I noticed.

Reply to
The Raven

"The Raven" > >>

ok

you convinced me to try to build, but I'm too lazy so I'll just order this and get ppjoypic driver prog and attempt that to hack my realflight copy.

hey only 16 $ :) hope it works...

MartianSand

| Real Flight has far better graphics than say FMS. Don't want to sound like a | cheap skate but when you compare prices and features it's hard to beat | free...

I dunno ...

The latest FMS has really good graphics. The background and scenery are much prettier than they are in RFG2. (No clue about RFG3.)

But the plane models are generally more detailed, and the control surfaces actually deflect properly in RFG2 (I don't think this happens in FMS ...)

Reply to
Doug McLaren

FMS does have very good graphics but they will not impress the typical (non-R/C) flight sim crowds. Still, they are very nice for practicing R/C flight.

FMS has no moving flight surfaces or fancy effects for the aircraft. There are some surprisingly effective lighting effects (shadows/reflections) on some models but that's about it. Still, it's more than adequate for practicing R/C flight.

Reply to
The Raven