Rust-Oleun paints

Does anyone known if Rust-Oleun Bright Coat Metallic Finish is fuel proof ? If it isn't, what can be sprayed over it to make it fuel proof ?

Reply to
Aeromodler

AS far as I can remember, none of the metallics are fuel proof. You will need to put a coat of clear over them.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

That's what I picked up on another web site. What type of clear coat would you use?

Reply to
Aeromodler

I would use a polyurethane or acrylic clear. Automotive clear coats are the best but more difficult to use.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Reply to
strathboy

The Rustoleum brand seems to have several different formulas for different kinds of paint. I think that would explain why some are fuel proof and others are not.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Rustoleum solid colors are fuel proof at least to 15 percent nitro. Rustoleum clear definitely is not. I believe I used Lustercote clear over Rustoleum with good success, but try a sample piece first. (It's been awhile since I tried it). I find some of the acrylic clear coats tend to yellow over a relatively short time, but maybe it's just the brand I used.

Alan Harriman

Reply to
Alan Harriman

The automotive acylics stay nice and clear.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh