Shipping from Europe

Anyone have a good method to ship a kit from the United Kingdom that i

cheap

-- skylane4

----------------------------------------------------------------------- skylane42's Profile:

this thread:

skylane42

"skylane42" skrev i melding news: snipped-for-privacy@rcgroups.com...

View this thread:

I've tried a few times (from Norway), and have essential two methods, UPS and airline crew. If you know someone who flies for an airline and would be willing to bring the box, that would be the best and cheapest way. UPS is good but expensive.

Kjell Aa Oslo, Norway

Reply to
Kjell Aanvik

I had my Ben Buckle kits and Anglia Model Centre kit shipped directly from the UK via their mail system. It comes over to the states and gets into our mail system. It wasn't too bad price wise.

Don

Reply to
Don Hatten

That is by Royal Mail. If you do that make SURE you get the insurance! I have had many bizarre incidents with them in the last few months.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

You want cheap AND good? HAHAHA, that's funny!

The closest you will get to that is through Royal Mail (if they will take the box). Email me directly and I'll tell you another way.

View this thread:

Paul McIntosh

USPS has a very small maximum size for parcel that they want to handle. In fact most kits would be too large for the USPS Kjell Aa Oslo, Norway

"Paul McIntosh" skrev i melding news:4186ab10$0$4021$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader01.plus.net...

Reply to
Kjell Aanvik

Really? I've received a Great Planes F-15 and a Pilot Twin Ace kit through the USPS.

Reply to
C G

Unless you're buying a giant scale ARF, you shouldn't have much of a problem with the USPS.

I've shipped the Top Flight Bonanza via USPS was no problem and the package of 4 Ben Buckle kits from the UK was no problem either.

USPS limit is below:

"Use for packages when the length of the longest side plus the distance around the thickest part is more than 108 inches and less than or equal to

130 inches. Items over 130 inches are not mailable."

Don

Reply to
Don Hatten

International shipping limits are different for USPS.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

"Don Hatten" skrev i melding news:LoAhd.1530$ snipped-for-privacy@fe25.usenetserver.com...

That is the domestic limitations. Internationally the limits are much smaller: Max length is 40" Max weight is 10 kilos among other limits I sent a kit this summer to California and had to send it with UPS as it weighed approx 15 kilos and were 55" long.

Kjell Aa Oslo, Norway

Reply to
Kjell Aanvik

Here is the limits direct from the USPS site. This is for a 10 pound box.:

Service Speed* Price Dimensions Global Express Guaranteed Document Service (See Service Guide Before Mailing) 2 - 3 Days $89.00 Max. length 46", width 35", height 46" and max. length plus girth 108" Global Express Guaranteed Non-Document Service (See Service Guide Before Mailing) 2 - 3 Days Max. length 46", width

35", height 46" and max. length plus girth 108" Calculate Price based on Dimensional Weight. Global Express Mail (EMS) 3 - 5 Days $53.75 Max. length 36", max. length plus girth 79" Airmail Parcel Post 4 - 10 Days $47.00 Max.length 60", max. length plus girth 108" Economy (Surface) Parcel Post 4 - 6 Weeks $32.75 Max.length 60", max. length plus girth 108"

Here is the domestic restrictions:

- Combined length and girth-Not more than 108 inches, except Parcel Post may not exceed 130 inches. Girth is the longest side plus the distance around its thickest part. For letters, length is the dimension parallel to the address as read. For parcels, length is the longest side.

Notice no max length?

Not only that, but packages coming FROM the UK will not originate at a USPS post office. They will come either from a Royal Mail or Parcelforce office which have even more restrictions.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

The comment was "most kits would be too large for the USPS". I provided two examples of kits that had no problem making it through the USPS. In fact, I just discovered a third, Lanier Stinger 60. These are the largest kits I have.

Instead of continuing to repeat the same thing over and over, why don't you try measuring a few boxes to see how they hold up against the numbers? It's probable that some kits will be too large, and many kits will be ok. From what I've seen, it seems most kits would fit the limits.

Chuck

Paul Mc> Here is the limits direct from the USPS site. This is for a 10 pound box.: >

Reply to
C G

I have been in the kit shipping business for about 10 years. I have a fair idea of what goes and doesn't go. Once in a while you will get one past the USPS, but often you don't.

Also, shipping from the UK, which this thread originally referred, has nothing to do with USPS regulations as the USPS doesn't operate offices in the UK for Brits to use.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

You still did not answer my question.

Since, according to your words, the discussion has "nothing to do with USPS regulations", what was your point in posting them? Additionally, since you profess to know so much about shipping, you should also realize that the sending shipper under discussion also enforces the rules of the destination shipper. It's called cooperation. Since the rules you posted are meaningless, according to you, did you happen to look up the rules of the sender before you concluded that the OP could not use their service?

Reply to
C G

Do you live in the UK? I do. You will NOT be able to ship a kit sized box through Royal Mail. They will not take it and will refer you to Parcelforce which will cost as much as using UPS or DHL. If you care to be enlightend, you can go here and see for yourself:

will see that the largest parcel you can ship via Royal Mail airmail is

900mm L+W+D and 600mm in greatest dimension. It doesn't matter what the USPS does, this it the UK restrictions.

A Brit cannot walk into a USPS office in the UK to send anything because THEY DON'T EXIST! Just like Royal Mail post offices don't exist in the US.

I posted the USPS tables because people like you are mistaken as to what you can and can't ship.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

And Parcelforce is part of what? Wait, it's part of Royal mail.

Nobody specified Royal Mail airmail. They said use Royal Mail. Since Parcelforce is part of Royal Mail, it's not clear what you are trying to say, other than being contrary. I've already looked at the regulations for shipping to the US via the Royal Mail Group. They were in line with USPS regulations. Gee, what a surprise.

This is obvious, and you are the only one who seems to need to keep repeating it. Remember, I am the one who asked YOU why you quoted USPS regulations.

You must be confused about what can and can't be shipped via USPS. The regulations YOU quoted confirmed that 100% of my kits them could be shipped via USPS. I've received 3 kits via USPS in the last month. This is very easy to understand, what is your problem?

Reply to
C G

Parcelforce isn't Royal Mail. That's like saying use USPS when you mean use UPS. You can't ship a package via Parcelforce from a Royal Mail post office.

Funny you should say that the Parcelforce dimensions are the same as the USPS. I entered the dimensions of an ARF I used to sell and it came out too large for Parcelforce yet was problem for USPS Priority Mail.

is

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

USPS and UPS are different companies. Parcelforce is part of the Royal Mail group. When you go to the Royal Mail web site, Parcelforce is one of many choices for shipping. UPS is not an option on the USPS web site.

ARF? The OP was asking how to ship a kit. Most of the time when someone says kit they mean a box full of wood and parts that need to be built, rather than a few prebuilt components that need to be assembled. Kit boxes are considerably smaller than ARF boxes. I agree with you that most ARF boxes are going to excede the limits of the USPS or Royal Mail (or their Parcelforce subsidiary). I still maintain that most kit boxes would be ok.

Reply to
C G

The point being that USPS has it all at one place and Royal Mail and Parcelforce do not interact. You have to go to completely different places to do business.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh