Storage

I have moved into a new hobby room. Does anyone have any good ideas on how to store models efficiently. i.e. wing shelving, or ceiling strings.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Mike, send me a note back channel and I will send you an article on workshop organization.

Red S. snipped-for-privacy@rcbatteryclinic.com

Reply to
Red Scholefield

I've been planting them in a hay field then they fit in a 5 gal. bucket. jk

I did make a wing rack from 1X2s and dowels. mk

Reply to
Storm's Hamburgers

I've done wing and fuselage racks out of the metal shelving supports found at Home Depot and the like. Use the round foam pipe insulation on the supports to provide a cushion.

Reply to
Chuck Jones

I have three wings standing on end in a plastic trash can. That idea started with a galvanized garbage can used for storing garden tools from a magazine suggestion decades ago. The wings have survived intact in spite of sometimes being put near high traffic locations and despite several grandchildren. Fuselages have found their way to the top of a rack with six legs (3 against the wall, 3 out front) built of the better grade 1 x 2 's (Home Depot) with a little varnish (I like the blond wood color of Honey Pine Polyurethane) that fits over and around my computer desk. If you do this, suggest all machine screws with nuts, small angle brackets actually hold it all together. The decks for the fuselages are 14 and 28 inches below the ceiling. No shelves up there. Exact dimensions of mine were to fit the space and around the computer desk, but front to back struts are 20 inches, abut the insides of the horizontal stringers which are inside the verticals. There is a front to back about every two feet. There are two lag bolts in the rear lower horizontal stringer that tie the rack to the wall studs for security, done with standoffs made from scraps of 1x2. Another set of framing at desk top level supports a couple of Home Depot shelf boards that make an extension of the computer desk. A second shelf could be put below if needed. The very long thin legs on the other side of the desk have a single front to back strut at desktop level. If needed for strength another full or partial vertical could of course be bolted on to the original(s) at any time. I measured and cut and drilled parts to match a drawing I made and then assembled and it worked out fine. Just like a part of a plane, only big. And, all those parts cost just a little each but I do not really want to know the total. Just like most of my planes. LOL.

Mike wrote:

Reply to
Charlie

Thanks,

I also need to get the models away from little fingers!!

Mike

Reply to
Mike

I hang my fuselages on a loop of some sort of rope, string, webbing, wire or whatever comes to hand. The prop is put through the loop and the model is allowed to hang therefrom.

Wings are stored on battens across the shed resting on their leading edges. The same battens support a couple of others which have screw hooks from which the fuselage support loops are hung.

Wings are above head height and so safe from accidental contact, fuselages are to one side of the shed.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Fisher