Stuborn Drive nut OS 46SF

I would like to replace the bearings in my old 46SF engine but I can't seem to dislodge the drive nut off of the drive shaft. Have tried heating the nut but it won't come loose. Without purchasing and using a small wheel puller does anyone have any ideas how to remove the drive nut?

Reply to
<rg.toth

Do you mean the prop nut or the prop drive hub? If it's the drive hub, do this. Take the prop off and reinstall the prop nut so it's flush with the end of the crankshaft. Using a cloth to cushion the jaws, grasp the drive hub tightly with pliers. TAP the end of the crankshaft/nut and the drive hub should pop off. I believe this engine uses a tapered fit for this assembly, and they can be tough sometimes.

While we're here, if you can't get the engine apart, and don't know how, is it wise to replace the bearings yourself? Should you contact someone with a little more experience to do this? Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

What I used was a automobile battery cable puller. I removed the swivel fitting at the end of the threader rod to gain the extra space needed because of the crankshaft threaded length. It will not come off by heat.

Art Steinmetz

Reply to
Art Steinmetz

Cable pullers, gear pullers, and heat WILL NOT WORK! This is a split tapered brass collet inside the washer. That taper has been locked for who-knows-how-many years. It's frozen, and only a sharp tap will break it loose.

Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

Unless you are sure you are going to replace the bearings, I wouldn't use the sharp rap technique. It will almost certainly damage the bearings.

I have yet to find oen that could defy my small gear puller.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Reply to
Armstrong/Myhara

BS. I've never damaged one that way. But then again, maybe I know how to do it. Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

I bought one of those nice pullers about 20 years ago, it broke the first time I tried it. Sheared the lip off the puller. Since then and over 50 engines later, I use the plastic mallet shock method. Works every time, never had any bearing problems, but since it is your engine, you be the judge.

Reply to
Johnboy

It is for that reason the gear puller does work. I have had no problem using on both my SFs. One was old and very used. One was newer but needed new case due to the effects of gravity.

Reply to
Art Steinmetz