Taming fighter aircraft

Is it possible to tame fighter types such as Spits annd Me 109's etc for use as advanced trainers or even better as trainer models, it appears that many of these ARTF's are scale models of advanced aircraft designs that should only really be flown by experienced pilots but end up as wrecks through inexperience. All the hype and fancy adverts to sell the things to wannabie Baders and Gallands is OK but putting them in the hands of people who have only ever flown a folded piece of paper in their lives before is asking for trouble I would say, is it not possible to fit temporary fixed flaps or a 'trainer' wing which can be swapped for a scale wing when the pilot is better qualified?, I have plans for an MC 202 Folgore and a few other advanced typpes but am loath to spend a lot of time building them if all I end up doing is using them as lawn darts. While you are crashing them and picking the bits up your not flying and if your not flying your not learning so it would all be a very dissapointing waste of time,

regards, Terry

Reply to
Terence Lynock (CSM)

Well, there is one "trainer" model available based on a Mustang....

Good flying, desmobob

Reply to
Robert Scott

Yep. Move the CG forward and build em light.

They aren't THAT hard to fly..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

is this it? Notice it's out of stock. mk

Reply to
MJKolodziej

That's the one. That's the whole deal, ready to fly. The ARF airplane alone is still available, by the looks of things:

Good flying, desmobob

Reply to
Robert Scott

| Well, there is one "trainer" model available based on a Mustang.... |

And don't forget this one --

They did a really good job on making it look cool. How it flies, I have no idea -- but it looks cool anyways, and I imagine it's reasonably forgiving if they call it a trainer.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

Have you checked the wing loading on that plane ? It is about 25 - 26 oz. Pretty good for a warbird, but it really STINKS for a trainer. MOST trainers have a wing loading of about 16 - 18 oz.

Newbies have a hard enough time flying the plane slow - with that plane it MUST be flown faster to stay in the air - it MUST be landed faster, etc.

Reply to
Ted Campanelli

Reply to
Chuck

The message from Ted Campanelli contains these words:

Hi Ted, this is why I was wondering about fixed flaps and larger wings to make it a bit more docile but I know aerodynamics does always work the way you want them to, if it would work I could take the root aerofoil section and fit a constant chord wing if that would ease the handling somewhat then fit the scale wing at a later date,

regards, Terry

Reply to
Terence Lynock

I've read numerous reviews of the H9 P-51 PTS and all of them have been complimentary. So if you want to get on a fast track that would seem to be the way to go. *However* IMHO you must learn to crawl before you walk. ;-0 I recommend flying your ol' reliable trainer until you're comfortable with it and can properly execute figure 8s, standard acro (loops, rolls, spins, etc.) Then go to a gentle low wing taildragger type. (Tiger 2 is excellent). When you are quite comfortable with the taildragger you are ready for you first warbird but find a good pilot (not a stick-knocker) ;-) to trim it out and stand by/buddy box you for the first few flights. Have fun! "There's more to life than increasing it's speed." ;-))

Reply to
Ed Forsythe