TNC Tachometer

After several years of faithful service my TNC tach is now acting up. When I turn it on all I get for the read out is 00.0. I tried a new battery but no change, just 00.0.

I know TNC is no longer in the business (damn it) but does anyone know where I might be able to get mine repaired (or get another one)? It really is a superior instrument and I'm reluctant to get something inferior.

Thanks in advance

Warren Smith

snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net

Reply to
Warren Smith

Skyborn electronics: TNC sensi-tachs Model Airplane News, Sep 2003 =20

=20 This longtime favorite line of tachometers is now being produced by = Skyborn Electrics! A good tachometer allows you to select the best prop = for your application, properly set the fuel mixture and type and tune = your engine for best performance. Because they have a built-in, = high-gain amplifier and very sensitive photo transistor, TNC tachometers = can read rpm several feet away from the prop, and they aren't affected = by clouds or sun. They also use a temperature-compensated, = crystal-controlled oscillator for timing, so they're incredibly = accurate.

Skyborn Electronics (972) 267-5099; skybornelectronics.com. The link to the web site seems to be broken. Another phone number I = found is 469-916-9719 and a fax 214-337-6623. Hope this helps. A guy on the Stuka Stunt Forum called around April of = last year and was able to order a new one and maybe they will also do = repairs.

I know TNC is no longer in the business (damn it) but does anyone know = where I might be able to get mine repaired (or get another one)? It really is = a superior instrument and I'm reluctant to get something inferior.

Thanks in advance

Warren Smith

snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net

Reply to
Ray "Bear" Hoffman,Jr.

As my four year old granddaughter would say (if she was into corny humor) thanks "Care Bear"!

Much appreciated - I'll post you all on the repair situation for your future info.

Bear, thanks again.

Warren Smith

This longtime favorite line of tachometers is now being produced by Skyborn Electrics! A good tachometer allows you to select the best prop for your application, properly set the fuel mixture and type and tune your engine for best performance. Because they have a built-in, high-gain amplifier and very sensitive photo transistor, TNC tachometers can read rpm several feet away from the prop, and they aren't affected by clouds or sun. They also use a temperature-compensated, crystal-controlled oscillator for timing, so they're incredibly accurate.

Skyborn Electronics (972) 267-5099; skybornelectronics.com. The link to the web site seems to be broken. Another phone number I found is

469-916-9719 and a fax 214-337-6623. Hope this helps. A guy on the Stuka Stunt Forum called around April of last year and was able to order a new one and maybe they will also do repairs.

I know TNC is no longer in the business (damn it) but does anyone know where I might be able to get mine repaired (or get another one)? It really is a superior instrument and I'm reluctant to get something inferior.

Thanks in advance

Warren Smith

snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net

Reply to
Warren Smith

| After several years of faithful service my TNC tach is now acting up. When | I turn it on all I get for the read out is 00.0. | I tried a new battery but no change, just 00.0.

If you're not electronically inclined this may not be an option, but you might want to open it up and see what you've got to work with. It could be as simple as the photocell having come loose or a bad solder joint.

There's not much to a tachometer, and so there's not too much to break, and the stuff that does break is usually easy to repair.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

Question: Is the prop turning? :) mk

Reply to
Storm's Hamburgers

No it wasn't - BUT the light bulb was turned on and doing it's usual 3600 cpm! (8>)}

ws

Reply to
Warren Smith

Skyborn has joined TNC both are history. But another company has th

rights to the tach. and it should be > Skyborn electronics: TNC sensi-tachs

-- I_FLY_C

----------------------------------------------------------------------- I_FLY_CL's Profile:

this thread:

I_FLY_CL

Thanks for the input. I found out that the original TNC manufacturer will repair them IF he still has the appropriate modules in his diminishing inventory.

P.S. I found out that, although new, the replacement battery I installed was defective. So, after installing a second new battery I found that I had a functioning tach once again - HOORAY!!

Reply to
Warren Smith

Whatever you do, don't use it in artificial light - we had a great laugh one time at our club when every engine tested, whatever the prop size or throttle setting gave exactly the same rpm figure.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Fisher