wtb replacement 36v forklift battery in ATL

I need advice on where to get a good deal on a replacement 36v forklift battery for an:

Allis Chalmers 5000 lb forklift ACE50FB, s/n AJP517191

You can see the lift in this ebay ad:

I'm thinking about buying this used fork lift but it needs a battery. I do not have much money to spend on this project, so I would appreciate any leads on the best deals for rebuilt or used replacement forklift batteries.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Doug Danielson

Reply to
William Danielson

If your use is occasional, you can make a smaller pack that will work fine. Three 12V trolling motor (deep cycle) batteries in series will make 36VDC. For more running time add three more like this in parallel to the first three. You can make a complete pack this way, but it gets expensive after a few. You can buy deep cycle batteries from battery companies, golf cart places and marine supplies, to name a few.

Ron Thompson Was On the Beautiful Mississippi Gulf Coast, Now On the Beautiful Florida Space Coast, right beside the Kennedy Space Center, USA

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.

--Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Reply to
Ron Thompson

Reply to
Mike

I suggest a used forklift battery, contact your local industrial battery supplier.

Note that small batteries, such as suggested by other posters, will not weigh nearly what the original battery does. The battery is part of the counterweight. If small batteries are used, one would need to derate the truck or add more counterweight to compensate for a lighter battery.

Richard

William Daniels>

Reply to
Richard Ferguson

Would it be possible to put remove some of the cells or batteries in the full size battery pack and replace them with a few new batteries? The new ones would be wired independly of the old ones. I would keep the old ones in place for ballast. I only need to run for typically 2 hrs, 3 times a week.

Thanks for you earlier valuable advice. It looks like I may have a way to make use of this lift after all.

Thanks,

Doug Danielson

Reply to
William Danielson

It is possible to remove cells from a battery pack, but I would not touch that job, leave it to an industrial battery repair shop that does it every day. Potentially explosive gases, acids, etc.

I am skeptical about an industrial forklift running on golf cart or car batteries, the current draws when lifting a heavy load would be substantial.

2 hours is actually quite a bit of run time, I was thinking 15 minutes of run time. You may need a decent battery to get 2 hours of run time. Of course, a newer industrial battery would last 8 hours or more of typical use, so a used battery that no longer delivers that 8 hours would probbly still work for you.

Back when I was in the warehouse business, we figured one shift on a battery charge, but not two.

Richard

William Daniels>

Reply to
Richard Ferguson