towing a glider

Can any one give me some advise on the rope a have to use(length, weight, etc)?

Reply to
Demon

For my limited experience I've used a line about 20m long, made from 150lb monofilament fishing line. I tow with a 1/4 scale Aeronca Champ with Zenoah

45... the biggest plane I've towed weighed about 9-10lb. Just be sure you tie a large brightly coloured rag to the line, just in case both pilots release about 1/4 mile out... Been there, done that, never did find it...

-- Philip Rawson

Philip Rawson

????? What didn't you find?

Reply to
Joe D.

The tow-line. *Both* pilots released it 1/4 mile out. Hence the advice to tie a brightly-coloured rag to it.

Reply to
John Privett

I'm towing with a 25 m braided nylon line, red/white marker tape. The marker tape is just a reference in the air. A lost line is almost always lost. ... Tow plane is 1/4 Balsausa cub with ZDZ 40.

26 Mb DivX here:
Sam Norway. .
Reply to
Sam Houlder

I am planning on building a 1/3 scale Sig Spacewalker with a 3W 70 for a glider tug.... any links to release mechanizms?

Reply to
Checkursix

Here's a couple to get you started. Try Alan's page for more links under aero towing

John Alt

Reply to
Don Hatten

refer to

scroll down to "Aero Towing - Gliders & Banners." = Aero Towing - Release mechanism diagrams - site down, email Alan for copy. Banner Towing Sail Planes Unlimited = Articles & Tips Scale Soaring - Aerotowing Aerotow Gliding - Graham Warren

Reply to
A.T.

This is as simple as it gets..

It's from the 35% Bellanca I'm building, engine is ZDZ 160. Some other building pictures is towards the end of this thread:
Sam Norway

Reply to
Sam Houlder