towing a glider

Can any one give me some advise on the rope a have to use(length, weight, etc)?

For my limited experience I've used a line about 20m long, made from 150lb monofilament fishing line. I tow with a 1/4 scale Aeronca Champ with Zenoah 45... the biggest plane I've towed weighed about 9-10lb. Just be sure you tie a large brightly coloured rag to the line, just in case both pilots release about 1/4 mile out... Been there, done that, never did find it...
-- Philip Rawson
www.flymodels.co.uk

????? What didn't you find?
wrote in message

weight,
Joe D. wrote:

The tow-line. *Both* pilots released it 1/4 mile out. Hence the advice to tie a brightly-coloured rag to it.
--
John P. - who flies on Epsom Downs, UK.
http://www.flyrc.org.uk /

I'm towing with a 25 m braided nylon line, red/white marker tape. The marker tape is just a reference in the air. A lost line is almost always lost. ... Tow plane is 1/4 Balsausa cub with ZDZ 40.
26 Mb DivX here: http://www.lomcevak.net/modellfly/vids/seilflytrekk.avi
Sam Norway. .
I am planning on building a 1/3 scale Sig Spacewalker with a 3W 70 for a glider tug.... any links to release mechanizms? --bob
wrote:

150lb
Zenoah
Nose tow release: http://www.hobby-lobby.com/towing.htm

This is as simple as it gets..
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/upfiles/57388/Yt63082.jpg
It's from the 35% Bellanca I'm building, engine is ZDZ 160. Some other building pictures is towards the end of this thread: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m%2861&key=hostetler%2Cdecathlon
Sam Norway

says...

Here's a couple to get you started. Try Alan's page for more links under aero towing
http://www.scalesoaring.net/tow.html#sailplane http://www.sailplanes.com/Tips/aerotowing.htm
refer to http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~atong / and scroll down to "Aero Towing - Gliders & Banners." Aero Towing - Release mechanism diagrams - site down, email Alan for copy. Banner Towing Sail Planes Unlimited = Articles & Tips Scale Soaring - Aerotowing Aerotow Gliding - Graham Warren
regards Alan T. Alan's Hobby, Model & RC Links http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~atong / .............................................................