Transmitter Compatibility

I have a Hobbyzone Scout with a broken tail boom and possibly a damaged motor. I also have a Hobbyzone Commander 2. The Scout is channel
3 on 27mhz, and the Commander is channel 6 on 27mhz. I'd like to get a replacement Scout fuselage on channel 6 so I can use the Commander controller with its trim comtrols. Is there any reason why this wouldn't work? If it will work, will the larger controller increase the Scout's radio range at all? That last issue isn't important, I'm just wondering.
And does anyone know a way to repair that damned tail boom? It broke off just inside the tail collar; I cleaned it with alcohol, let it dry, used a modest amount of epoxy, waited 24 hours, added a reinforcing bead of epoxy, waited another 24 hours, and then a relatively minor crash on the nose broke it in the same spot...
On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 08:44:54 GMT, "mjc13<REMOVETHIS>"

Not that I can see.
Same band, same channel, same company--it should work.

Depends on the innards of the transmitter.
Range is probably set primarily by power output and secondarily by antenna and filter design both in the transmitter and receiver.
My guess is that there is plenty of redundancy built into the Hobbyzone systems so that if you can see the planes, you can control them.
I think I did see one park flyer get lost at our field, but it was because the child pilot was not well supervised by his grandfather, not because of lack of range. The grandfather was giving too much attention to his friends at the field and not paying enough attention to the plane and pilot.

Insert a short length of dowel in the boom?
Put on an external splint or splints across the break?
Wrap some fiberglass around the broken area and the splint(s)?
You may be able to bore holes into the fuselage to help hold the splints in place.
Here's how I would think about it: the plane is broken and unflyable right now. The worst case scenario is that you spend some time and effort trying to fix it and fail. All that means is that the plane is broken and unflyable, so you really don't lose anything and you may learn how to fix the @#$%&*+! thing.
                Marty
--
Big-8 newsgroups: humanities.*, misc.*, news.*, rec.*, sci.*, soc.*, talk.*
See http://www.big-8.org for info on how to add or remove newsgroups.
Martin X. Moleski, SJ wrote:

I ended up splinting it, with plenty of packing tape. I tried the 'professional' repair, now I'm trying what I'm best at. ;-) The tail now needs to be aligned before I fly it, but maybe it will stay put until it lands. We'll see. Thanks for the helpful response. (The boom is too tiny, and contains the antenna wire, so I can't use a dowel.)
"mjc13> wrote> And does anyone know a way to repair that damned tail boom? It broke off

Rough it up with really, really rough sandpaper, clean it, epoxy it, but add some fiberglass strands across the break. If not fiberglass, something else that epoxy will soak into and has some strength.
--
Jim in NC

Morgans wrote:

Cue MICROPORE TAPE - available at any drugstore - well the sort that sells first aid stuff. Probably something different in the US..
Makes a` GREAT way off reinforcing things when soaked in CA (wood) or epoxy (foam). Cos it sticks itself down FIRST. and doesn't move when you smear the goo on top.

BUT ---
Test the boom with a little CA in an unimportant place, first.
The CA may dissolve what the boom is made of.
It is a good idea, if it does not make the boom disappear! <g>
--
Jim in NC

On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 08:44:54 +0000, "mjc13<REMOVETHIS>" <"mjc13 wrote:

See if you can find some carbon fiber rod of the same or slightly smaller diameter, and replace the boom. You want something that's about as strong and the same or less weight. You'll have to work at mounting the tail surfaces, but it's good training.
--
Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Tim Wescott wrote:

I'd need some kind of splicing collar, because the other end is permanently attached to the cockpit assembly. And I'd need to drill very tiny holes in it to attach the tail... I'll see if the splint works first, but thanks.

You should have no problem with using the commander TX as long as the receiver is on the same channel as the TX.
I see you have the boom fixed. REMEMBER TO REBALANCE THE PLANE BEFORE TRYING TO FLY IT OR YOU WILL BE REPAIRING AGAIN.
Ted Campanelli wrote:

Thanks. It seems to have ok front to rear balance, though (see other post). It just needs to have a rightward tilt corrected. I'm going to redo the splint repair as best I can.