Tri County Eagles

They have a tiny field on top of a hill - surrounded by a couple of housing developments on three sides, and a shopping mall on the fourth. They have the BALL"S to fly turbine jets and giant scale out of this place. It's an accident waiting to happen.

Reply to
zara

The flying fields we have here in Nebraska are equally dangerous. They're surrounded by housing projects and public parks full of children and joggers. Several streets run nearby with some traffic driving east-west while other cars are travelling north-south, and these are FULL SCALE trucks, cars, and SUVs.

Big vehicles like that, driving through intersections in all directions, just scares me to think about it.

Reply to
Ed Paasch

I may be wrong , but if it is the field I am thinking of it is NOT surrounded by developments on any sides. The north side is I believe is a corn field and beyond that woods. The remaining sides are abutted by smaller corn fields and woods - not developments . There a shopping center 1/2 a mile away . Located on the far side of a huge parking lot.I know these woods well as I have retrieved ( and lost) too many planes in them. They are very deep and seem to go on for ever. There is a pond or lake with nothing built on it in one of these woods ,( The east side I believe) that is so far away it cannot be seen from the field. You can see it easily of course when one steps in it unawares while tramping through the thick woods. It much larger then you might think could be hidden in those thick woods.

I have come out of them on three of the four sides and have never seen any developments.

Occasionally we do get a few horses or pony s that return to the farm they live at upon our immediate request(ie shouting and arm waving). I believe this farm is beyond the thick woods on the south end of the field. The field is mostly used by helo's , electrics and 60 to 90 size

2 and 4 strokes.

I have never seen a jet or giant scale there nor have I ever met anybody who said they did. The runway would be much too small to take off from and the south side is protected by a line of high trees. I know this well as these trees reach up and grab planes as they fly by. The field is well known by the local tree pruning people , who have retrieved planes for us many times and do it at a bargain ( repeat user) rate . We know him on a first name basis. I tell you this as these trees make even flying small inexpensive planes a challenge , facing a real risk of loss. Thus flying an expensive plane(Jet or giant scale) would be very risky and prohibitive.

This line of trees also require landing from the north only , no matter the wind direction - again a strike against larger aircraft and jets which may require head winds to land into in the first place.

I could be wrong about the location but i am quite certain I am not wrong about the terrain and conditions. You might thinking of another place or I am.

Reply to
Allan Schneider

I'm pretty sure I know that field, directly across from the pits is an A&P about 900 feet away where a few have crashed. To the right and down the hill is a few barns and the farmers house about 300 feet from the end of runway, where a few have crashed also. Behind the pits is a housing development where the people sometimes complain.and a few have crashed. To the left is a cornfield and a old age home on the right of the cornfield and you can see condos on the hill where a whole bunch have crashed. There is a lake at the bottom next to a main road about 600 feet away where some have crashed. The president flees real big stuff that appears to be giant scale. Jets have been flown off that field by special members on the sneak. One of your members also got his arm chopped off by a giant scale plane. If this is the same place he's right it is dangerous. All the houses and stores and two main roads are within 900 feet of the field. What town are you talking about Westchester county. Ask about the jet thing I'm pretty sure many know.

Reply to
Redhart

Place head deeper into sand. The field in question is not in Bumfuck, Nebraska it's in a highly populated area.

Reply to
Redhart

If you're so concerned why don't you address your concerns to the Tri-county Eagles? While you're at it, perhaps you could convince the Congress to shut down 80% of all commercial airports in the country - Troll!

Reply to
Ed Forsythe

Thanks, Redhart, but zara's original post had so little information in it that it was almost meaningless. I was merely commenting that driving on city streets is dangerous, but we do it every day without a second thought because we obey the rules and use reasonable precautions.

If these Tri County Eagles think they can fly turbines while surrounded by housing developments and while flanked by a shopping center, perhaps they can. On the other hand, a few fiery crashes in a Super K Mart parking lot may change everyone's minds. You never know.

For the record, my little slice of Bumfuck, NE has almost a million people living in the greater metropolitan area.

Reply to
Ed Paasch

Just look at his responses in other posts and give him the consideration he deserves.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh