ALIGN 430 LF BRUSHLESS MOTOR?

I just ordered an "Align" brand, 430 LF brushless motor and a Castle Creation's "Phoenix 35" controller with a couple of "HYPERION 11.1 VOLT 2100
MAH (16C) VELOCITY LITE LIPOLY PACK" batteries. Would appreciate any thoughts or comments on any of them. The price was right on the motor and with their combo deal and free shipping on orders over $100 ... don't know if replacement parts are available or if they are any good to begin with. I guess the controller is supposed to be good. Anybody know anything about the battery brand? Thanks
http://www.allerc.com/product_info.php?cPath=7_66&products_id 31 http://www.allerc.com/product_info.php?cPath=3_4_93&products_id 41 http://www.allerc.com/product_info.php?cPath=7_49&products_idb3
On Fri, 9 Dec 2005 00:04:42 -0800, "Forrest"

Seems nobody else wants to give you the bad news. That motor, with a KV of 3550, appears to be intended for driving a small ducted fan. A prop would have to be unrealistically small. Even with the tiny Gunther prop used on Zagi's et al the current draw from a 2 cell (7.4V) LiPo pack would be pushing 10C (~20A). On three cells you'll be letting the smoke out of everything. It could be used with a gearbox to drive a reasonably sized prop, but that kind of defeats the real advantage of outrunner motors.
I urge you to get a motor calculator program (MotoCalc has 30 day free trial period), so you you can try out various motor, battery and prop combos before you buy (and fry) them. Even expert E-modelers use them - it's hard to guesstimate right for the experienced, near impossible for a newbie.
Abel

Thanks for your very timely reply. I asked my brother, and cohort in this RC flying hobby ( of about 30 years now), to do the ordering. We are new to electric. Luckily he held off and came over today to touch bases before doing so. Thanks for the "heads up". We have a couple of approx. 25 oz. bi planes (Wattage brand , Pitts and Stearman) sans motors and power for them. We were looking for something that would work for these planes and the larger ones that would surely come after these are trashed. They only have about a 32 inch wing span and will probably be a bitch to see what they are doing. I thought that if we got a 300 watt type motor,controller and LiPo battery packs and just used about half to two thirds throttle we would be OK and have a good setup for the next generation of planes, larger and heavier. As far as clearance goes, it doesn't look like they can swing anything more than a 9 or 10 inch prop. So, it's back to the drawing board ....... any suggestions?
P.S. I took your suggestion and downloaded the "MotoCalc". I haven't really checked it out yet but guess it's designed to match a motor, controller and battery to one plane at a time. Thanks for the reply.
On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 01:20:24 -0800, "Forrest"

As an example, try the Himax HC3510-1100. If the parameters aren't already in MotoCalc, you can get them online at MPI. Try other motors with similar specs - MotoCalc will find similar motors for you. What you should look for to narrow the field is a low KV (1100 for the Himax example) and ability to handle 200-250 W. I wouldn't go higher than 200 W with the 2100 mah battery pack. The 16 C rating may may be OK for bursts, but you'll have much better pack life if you limit it to 10 C. That will give you 6 minutes at full power, probably double that with reasonable throttle management, and more that 100 watts/lb, so expect very good aerobatic performance.
Abel
The little Align motors are intended for helicopters and work great there. But for airplanes, they have no torque.

Go search a gearbox like a superbox or so . If you can still use that motor with a large prop.
TM