TwinStar II Electric Brushless/Lipo combination options/suggestions? (Here is what I was going with):

Looking for any critiques on this setup.. I contacted multiplex on brushless motor options and ESC combinations.. at the lowest possible cost..

Here is what they recommended:

If I ran Bp-21's, go with a 27 amp Castle ESC (x2) and a 3s 3200 18C lipo (they said that the 3s 2100 15c (the 15C) may be alittle low.

They also said Himax 2808, 16 (200 watts) or 3510 250 watts would work as well (but these seem really pricey).. My goal is to make it about

30-50% more powerful in the end...

I'm trying to figure out all the parts / equipment I need to build and get this one in the air, so based on this and other research here is what I think I need to purchase..

Base Kit:

$79.99

ESC: Castle Creations 25amp

$67 ^can anyone recommend a similar ESC that is much cheaper? Originally I was shooting for $35 max per ESC.. Does the ESC have to have soft start and low power ability at cutoff (does this mean some ESC's when reaching the 9v cutoff will just shutoff things completely where others wont?)

IE: Here is a 30amp Welguard for $34.95

?

MOTOR: BP-21x2

$11x2 (Do I need to buy anything else with these, ie: gearboxes?)

SERVOS: For ailerons: x2 =

$16.49 For throttle/rudder x 2 = GWS PARK HPX
$14.19 x2

Lipo Charger/battery:

ThunderPower Charger/balancer/AC pack:

$79 (2 to 5 cell)

^would this charger work on most batteries or what charger is more universal? (desire AC ability as well with balancing)

Battery

3s1p 3200 mah 18C ideal as mentioned?? (These would be like $100+ per batt, a bit much)

Or 3s 2100mah 15C adequate and at least 15 minute flights:

$79 for two!

Best site for reasonable priced Lipos?

Receiver: Futaba 8 channel: r168df

$59.99 plus $12 for crystal ^any cheaper alternatives, i only have a 6 channel tx, but they seem to only come in 8

Accessories kit with CA glue, solder, connectors?

$13.90

Prop: 7x5 ? Brand?

Extras:

Medium CA & kicker/activator (not sure what these are)?

Y connector for ailerons: $11 ? (my tx will do aileron mixing, does this mean that the aileron and rudders would move in synch or just that I can electronically program them via the tx, rather than using the y cable?)

Servo extensions 12" $10 ? x 2

Hobby knife

HotGlue Gun? (instead of CA at all)?

Covering for the plane? TOWERKOTE. $6.99 a roll at Tower Hobbies x 2

Enamel Paint?

**6mm steel (or carbon) rod for inserting in the wing spar during high wind flights?

Any thoughts would be great, or if I'm missing something etc.

Cheers

Reply to
markm75

$14.19 x2

$79 (2 to 5 cell)

$79 for two!

Try

for some ideas mk

Reply to
MJKolodziej

Some have thought the Bp-12's may not have enough lifting power when adding 4 oz more of camera equipment, but others have thought this setup would be fine. Some suggest using XTRA 2829/10 Brushless Motor $30 a piece (draws 12-15amps, 1210KV)..

Reply to
markm75

That's a lot of money to spend on a twinstar! Why not invest in something a little more interesting like a B-25 or?

$14.19 x2

$79 (2 to 5 cell)

$79 for two!

Reply to
Jim Slaughter

Well.. Everyone seems to love the twinstar..

I want something that can lift camera gear easily.. fly for longer periods.. maybe even do some first person flying with goggles some day :)

Reply to
markm75

Reply to
Jim Slaughter

Does anyone know of any good guides/tips on how to mount gear.. taildragger or tricycle type.. hopefully something that can quickly be removed if the ground isnt suitable?

Reply to
markm75

"markm75" > wrote

Are you interested in removing it if the ground is not suitable, or what?

If you are planning on hand launching, and belly landing, then I have a solution.

Outfit it as a taildragger. Use the one piece spring aluminum plate type, and bolt it to the belly in the right place for the CG to be slightly behind the axle when the plane is in a level attitude. There will need to be suitable reinforcement in the fuselage to take the stresses.

I would also use blind nuts mounted in the ply or block reinforcement in the fuselage. It will make removing and reinstalling the gear much easier.

If the tail wheel is not too big, and does not hang down much, it can stay mounted when you belly it in.

Reply to
Morgans

Glue a platform and some dowels to the belly and rubber band on one of those bent alloy things.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Motor ESC question:

I decided to drop the bp-12 idea for my motors.. and go for hackers.

The hacker I'm going with is the A20-26M (for around $54). Specs are

1130kv, 1.48oz, 4-12amp operating with 15peak (this is with 9x4.7 prop). In reality it appears that it works well with a 7x5 prop and draws around 9 amps max.. about 17-18 amps between the two?

I called hacker.. they didnt think this motor would be good enough (borderline) for hauling say 45-50oz weight (camera/data equipment).. Since someone else with a TS2 had success I think Hacker is a bit off on their comment. They recommended the A20-22L for only $2 more instead.. specs are 924KV, 2.01oz, 6-14 amp operating, with peak of 17 on a 10x4.7 prop.

I also thought I would go with the GWS 15amp esc

at only $22 x 2.

The local shop thought that the 15 amp ESC was pushing it, though again, someone else is using this combo and seems to be "ok".

Anyone have any thoughts.. I still think I'd be fine with a20-26ms and two 15amps escs.. If the esc is borderline.. any 18-20 amp escs out there that would be just as good and not much more money?

I think this was the 18 amp Hextronik recommended by Twrecks:

Is this one adequate, anyone used it? (will i have enough features that I need compared to the GWS model)?

Reply to
markm75