What to shim a spinner backplate with?

I am trying to install a different spinner which has nuts and extrusions that form an overhang that sits rearward of the ?flywheel? by about 1/8 of an inch. Because of the original spinner plate being flush with the flywheel, the new spinner backplate rubs the front of the cowling.

Has anyone succesfully installed a shim between the flywheel and the spinner backplate before? Perhaps there is plastic washer available that will fit- but will it hold?

Reply to
Sisyphus

Your easiest fix and best bet is to go get a spinner that has a flat backing as your old one did. I had a similar problem with my SuperTiger engine, the nut holders were too close together for the "flywheel" or rear drive washer to fit between...easiest fix was to get a new spinner. One of the brands (Goldberg?) has a flat plate. Dubro, I think, has the recessed plate.

Anyway - good luck with it...

FredD

Reply to
RedFred1

Thanks Fred! Does Goldberg have a 3 blader?

Reply to
Sisyphus

You could check here...

J&Z make some nice ones with a metal backplate...

FredD

Reply to
RedFred1

I'm using a homemade washer from soft aluminum to ... uh ... make up for a slight miscalculation I made when building the nose of my UltraSport 1000.

About 15 flights and no problems so far.

MVVS 1.6 gas engine with a tuned pipe.

With the electronic ignition, I don't expect any backfires. So far in about 65 flights with this or a similar setup, I haven't had any.

YMMV. Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Thanks