Why are Brushless motors and accys expensive?

Sometimes HobbyLobby has them in stock. I got one a couple of weeks ago. Have bench run it only, so far, with a MA 8x4 regular prop. It generates loads of thrust. I ran it on 8 cells full throttle for about 2 minutes the first time holding it in my fingers and it just got warm in that time. A cobalt 400 I have got HOT in that same amount of time!

David

Reply to
David AMA40795 / KC5UH

Its more like a hot cobalt 400 or 480 in power.

10x7 ,11x7 ore even 12x8 on 8-10 cells will vertical a 25 oz model, will draw about 15-18A flat out static.

With a 9x6 on 8 cells, its a more powerful geared 400...

They get alarmingly hot by the way. Don't panic.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

keeps em.

Just wait til you shove a 10x7 on it on 10 cells. It will get hot :)

Be aware there are two versuons tho - a Mark 1 and a Mark II of the

25/35 and tow version of te 25/25 unit - which is more a speed 300 replacement.

The Mark II's are wound for more torque and less RPM.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Adventure hobbies in Chandler, Az.

I mounted it on my Clancey, Baby Bee using a 7X5 prop. Wow what a difference! I used a Thunder Power 2100 mah lipo pack and had a 57 minute flight time. With a 1200 mah lipo pack I'm getting 26 minutes. ESC is a Castle 25. It does quite well.

Don.

Reply to
Don

What motor was it? sounds like 25/25 mark 1 ... How many lipos - 2 or three series?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

| I ran it on 8 cells full throttle for about 2 minutes the first time | holding it in my fingers and it just got warm in that time.

Be careful with that. That's a recipe for interesting new scars!

I suggest not holding motors with your hands while you run them at full speed with a prop on them :)

You could ask me how I know this, but if you did, I'd just show you an interesting old scar ...

Reply to
Doug McLaren

No wonder its not getting warm. Mine is going to START life on 10 Nicad cells and a 10x7, and maybe work up to 11x7 and three series LIPOS.

BTW for those who asked Fanfare are sticking these.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher