Will my Dell computer work with G3 RealFlight

Hay guys: I need some help. I know nothing about computers. I would like to get G3 realflight but don't know if it will work with my system. According to the Belarc report generated about my Dell computer I have a 2.67 gig Intel Pentium 4 processor which meets the minimum requirements according to the GP webpage. The question comes about the video card requirements. According to the Belarc report I have 510 megs of memory, an Intel 82865G Graphics Controller, an Intel Graphics Chipset (KCH) Driver, and an Intel Graphics Platform (SoftBIOS) Driver. If it won't can I buy one of the recomended video cards and have it installed? Pardon my ignorance, but I am new to computing. If you don't know the answer do you think Dell would? TheSlink

Reply to
BillTheSlink

OK here is some more info I got from Dell. My Graphics card is an Intel Extreme AGP 8X and the sound card is an ADI 1980. Is this good enough? The GP web site says an Intel Extreme 845G will defiantly work. Can I just buy this card and plug it in the slot or is there other things to consider???

Reply to
BillTheSlink

Try your present card 1st. I presume you are using the "onboard video" (built into the motherboard). If the present video does not work, THEN go and get a video card. I use the nVidea chip set cards and have had absolutely no problems with them. I would suggest a MINIMUM of 64 meg ram on the card (not shared ), preferably 128 or 256 meg of ram (depending on your budget ) for best performance.

If the graphics are the on board type, be sure to disable them in the BIOS. Make sure you have ALL the latest drivers for your motherboard, video and sound cards. This is VERY important. The vendor's sites have the latest drivers. With slower machines you MAY need to disable some of the features (such as fog ) in order to get a satisfactory frame rate.

Reply to
Ted Campanelli

If your PC came with integrated graphics, probably not. You usually have to pay about a grand for a Dell PC before you get one that comes with a graphics slot. If your PC is a 4600/4700 series or higher, it will have a graphics slot. The 2600/2700 and 3000 series, AFAIK, don't have anything other than PCI slots. If you post the service code, someone can look it up and tell you. Or you pop open the side cover and look at the slots. The slot highest in the case should be a different color and offset a little further in on the motherboard (or riser in the case of Dell. You've confused me a little bit with the "My graphics card is" and "Can I just buy this card" bit. Where are you plugging in your monitor now, on the edge of the case, or in one of the expansion slots?

As far as what you have, and will it work, the answer is yes. But you won't be able to get the most out of the display.

Reply to
John Alt

Thankfully, I have a 4600 so I guess your saying I can buy a graphics card right?

The service tag is 2RQC041.

Reply to
BillTheSlink

Dell's website shows you PC as not having an AGP slot in it. "Upgrading" to a PCI graphics card is usually a waste of time. Email Dell support about it to be sure, but I think your stuck with what you have. It's silly an expensive PC like that doesn't have an expansion slot, but that's Dell.

As noted before, the program will run on it. You just wont be able to max out the graphics.

Reply to
John Alt

Why don't you ask the RealFlight folks? Their number is 217-398-8970, and their hours are from 8am~7pm central time. You may also want to check our thier website at

I've called them before, and they're very helpful. .

Steve

Reply to
Steve Williams

I just want to thank you all for your help. I decided to order G3 and try it with what I have. It works fine; the only thing I can't load is the trees. Dell says I can get a video card and next month I am going to get the ATI 9800 so I can have it all. I really like G3. So far I have logged about 5 hours on it and I can make nice left hand turns and stay airborn for about 15 min. before I crash. It sure is a neat program. Thanks, TheSlink

Reply to
BillTheSlink