Radio controlled simulation?

While I'm here. I noticed mention of something like radio controlled simulation. I was wondering if there is such a thing for radio controlled aircraft, like there is flight simulation for passenger aircraft. I really don't know how that would work unless, well maybe you could use a game pad? Just curious.

Reply to
John Doe

Yes, there are many flight simulators.

I use Great Planes G2. G3 is perhaps in stores now.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

"John Doe" schreef in bericht news:Xns95B354378FB74wisdomfolly@151.164.30.44...

download your free sim on above site.

When you really like playing a sim, buy this one

Or use a "dualstick" controller.

Have fun simming...

F.

Reply to
Flying Tiger

Defintelu. Realflight G2 used to b the best, but I hear there's even better. Very good way not to crtash planes that cost money t repair..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

RealFight G3 is out. Anyone used it yet?

Reply to
N9NWO

I was gonna give them a chance to fix it before puking on the NG, but they wrote today to confirm it doesn't run on my Matrox video card. A free update will be available shortly, they went on to say. It crashes while loading the limp rag windsock effect on initial startup. I never got to fly it on my PC. Framerate is awful on my wife's PC; I have to turn off all the graphics features and hide the scenery objects to get a halfway usable framerate. The irony is a bit too rich for me. Somebody go give that not so hot hotshot programmer a well deserved kick in the bejeez for me, would you please.

On the happy side: post stall handling is much improved; slope soaring is a blast. Hand launching is a nice addition. That's about all the new coolness I've noticed. Not much compensation for the things I liked in G2 and no longer have. To wit: my old 9V doesn't work with Interlink; it worked just dandy with the old G2 parallel port tx interface. And I still haven't found how to modify color schemes. The only really interesting plane is the E3D, but the graphics are such that you can't tell top from bottom. Well... whatever. That just reaffirms my good sense to not buy ARFs with translucent covering. And no shadows, at least not with the wife's crappy onboard Intel graphics. The only way to tell I landed is to slam the elevator around to see if it's still flying.

I'll flip a coin in the next day or two and see about sending it back, and buying ... you know... the other sim. It's a crying shame, too. G2 has been a staple here since forever almost. I can't remember how long, just this moment. Someone remind me. Six years? Seven? Easily, I think.

Reply to
Boat

Search for FMS. It's quite a good shareware flight sim. Plenty of aircraft to download and there are ways you can adapt your TX to the computer to make it more R/C realistic (good for practice).

Reply to
The Raven

That's what I was wondering about. I wouldn't want to try flying a radio controlled plane without practice first.

Reply to
John Doe

That's exactly what I've been doing. I have had a few carefully supervised flights of a glider and a 3 channel electric "old timer" that was kindly given to me. However, most of my flying has been with FMS using a "trainer" cord hooked up to my printer port.

So far FMS has cost me less than $7 which has to be a very cost effective way to learn/practice. Of course, there is no substitute for real flying, this is just a "helper".

Reply to
The Raven

| I was gonna give them a chance to fix it before puking on the NG, | but they wrote today to confirm it doesn't run on my Matrox video | card. A free update will be available shortly, they went on to say.

Lovely. Though to be fair, I only buy NVIDIA now, just because everything works with it. ATI would be close, but they don't support Linux quite so well.

| Framerate is awful on my wife's PC; I have to turn off all the graphics | features and hide the scenery objects to get a halfway usable framerate. The | irony is a bit too rich for me. Somebody go give that not so hot hotshot | programmer a well deserved kick in the bejeez for me, would you please.

Before I kick somebody on your behalf, I'd need to know more about your wife's PC.

| On the happy side: post stall handling is much improved; slope soaring is a | blast.

The Slope Soaring Simulator has been out for a while, and is great fun. And free!

The screensaver mode certainly gets people's attention at work :)

| And no shadows, at least not with the wife's crappy onboard Intel | graphics.

Ah. Well, that's hardly Real Flight's fault, is it?

| G2 has been a staple here since forever almost.

A mighty expensive staple. And I notice that there's no upgrade from G2. I saw something about a rebate for G2 owners, but certainly can't find it now.

Ahh, I found it -- it was hidden in plain sight.

`Rebate Offer For Recent Purchasers of RealFlight Generation 2.' `Rebate Offer For Owners of Previous Versions of RealFlight Only.'

Recent purchasers? Gee, thanks. So, if you're stupid and bought RFG2 right before RFG3 came out, we'll give you a little extra.

If I bought G2 recently (09/01/2004), I get $50 in GP mechandise, or $25 in cash. If not, I get $25 in merchandise. Lovely.

I see no RFG3 in my future. I've already spent $280 on it ($200 for RFG2, $80 for the interlink controller upgrade.) I'm not spending another $200. (And the $25 merchandise rebate is more of an insult than an incentive.)

If they put out a $100 upgrade from G2 to G3, I might do it. $50 and I'd definately do it. But in traditional `Real Flight' fashion, squeezing their customers for every penny is job one.

(Or, they may be selling G3 at full price for a while to get those who really want it to pay full price, and in a few months THEN they'll put out the upgrade version to get those who aren't willing to pay so much. I can certainly see this happening.)

Reply to
Doug McLaren

| I read and appreciate all of the replies.

Sure you do. You come into a group (probably the wrong group, no less), ask for something that doesn't exist, and when you're told it probably doesn't exist, but given pointers to things that do exist and are somewhat similar, you respond by top-posting with :

Troll.

(and not even bothering to trim the post you're replying to.)

Yes, we can really tell you appreciate all of the replies. Uh-huh.

Ob R/C Related :

Austin, Texas. Sunday, December 12, 2004 9am Blue Santa Fly In. For more information :

I'll be there. I don't fly the glow planes much anymore, but I do have fun at the Fly-ins, so ...

Reply to
Doug McLaren

"John Doe" schreef in bericht news:Xns95B354378FB74wisdomfolly@151.164.30.44...

download your free sim on above site.

When you really like playing a sim, buy this one

Or use a "dualstick" controller.

Have fun simming...

F.

Reply to
Flying Tiger

newssvr30.news.prodigy.com!newsdbm03.news.prodigy.com!newsdst01.news.prodigy.com!newsmst01a.news.prodigy.com!prodigy.com!border1.nntp.dca.giganews.com!border2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!cyclone.austin.rr.com!fe2.texas.rr.com.POSTED!not-for-mail

Reply to
John Doe

| A troll posting new instead of in the original thread where it | belongs, apparently trying to draw attention to something he wanted | to advertise.

I'll continue to create new threads as appropriate. But thanks for your concern. As for my advertisement, perhaps you can make it -- you don't seem to be too far away.

Googling for snipped-for-privacy@usenet.is.the.real.thing is very informative.

Heh!

Between that page and what google shows, I don't feel nearly so special anymore.

Ob R/C related :

Now that it's the (sort of) windy season again in Austin, I'm getting to fly my slope planes more often. One of them's falling apart, so I'm going to replace it with this --

looks like a pretty nice plane for those not-so-windy days. I should have it in a few days.

And before Mr Doe suggests otherwise, no, I don't have anything to do with these people beyond having just spent some money there.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

That's a cool little plane (4.5 oz?!?). Not to wild about the example paint job though. How high do you think a well chosen rubber band on a stick and a paper clip hook would send it?

Reply to
Steve Banks

I cannot imagine anyone except a troll complaining about a note of appreciation for a signature.

newsdst01.news.prodigy.com!newsmst01a.news.prodigy.com!prodigy.com! border1.nntp.dca.giganews.com!border2.nntp.dca.giganews.com! nntp.giganews.com!cyclone.austin.rr.com!fe2.texas.rr.com.POSTED!not- for-mail

Reply to
John Doe

It's a Parhelia, more a video workstation than a game machine. For game graphics, it's on par with the previous gen of Radeons and GeForce. Spread that across three monitors and you're talking my world. Doing it on a single puny 1600x1200 display is easy in comparison.

G2 runs reasonably well on that PC, with shadows. Just get rid of the trees. Yeah, I'd say it was the new software that sucks. (He definitely needs kicking. I build software for a living, and a rather good judge of these things.) Sum total is that it's more of a graphics "upgrade" than physics or flight related. While you're at it, kick the product managers, too. They shrunk their potential audience rather than expanding it. You would think the recent and near future glut of noobie park flyers would drive the product goals in a different direction.

Ain't that the truth.

Thanks for the sss link. I wasn't into sloping before, but I've been getting bored with 3d and the aimless thrashing. I think a foam wing with a cd motor for backup power will be in my future.

It's a tough market. Small, very demanding audience. I might be alone, but $100+ for G2.5 seems not unreasonable if it just fixed the flight and weather models. Eye candy? Who's got time to gawk and sightsee? (And that windsock effect is nothing to write home about. You'll agree when you see it for yourself.)

Reply to
Boat

| That's a cool little plane (4.5 oz?!?). Not to wild about the example paint | job though. How high do you think a well chosen rubber band on a stick and | a paper clip hook would send it?

They say that a side throw will get it to 60 feet. I'm guessing this is similar to, but different from a discus launch.

Considering how light it is, I'll bet you could get some good altitude with a big string of rubber bands tied to something. But as for something that's just hand held, my guess is you could throw it higher. But 60 feet, that's not bad ...

I got the box today. The entire contents of the kit, minus the box but including the beds of the foam core (which don't go into the plane) is only 3.5 oz ... this should be *very* light ...

[ Sorry, I got the name of the plane wrong in the subject. It's Alula, not Alura. ]

Doug McLaren