yikes......my thumb got in the way of the prop.

I have a table saw and use one at work and appreciate the power of the blade to cut fingers off. I still have all of my fingers intact. I don`t know why I got caught by this electric planes prop. I guess I never thought of what it could do. In the future I will definately be more attentive. Thanks for all of the replies. Dan.

Reply to
Mason121

In article , Fubar wrote: | A full sized motorized plane is usually started by the pilot from inside the | cabin. They have electric starters in em.

Usually. Of course, if the battery dies, they get hand cranked just like ours do. And some older planes don't even have a starter or even a battery. This plane --

may be one such plane. (I don't know what the story is. Either way, that's some big cajones that guy has ...)

| Sliced that finger to the bone.

At least the bone stopped it :)

Reply to
Doug McLaren

Once you have caught your hand in a prop, it is a long time before you do it again. There is nothing like pain to increase your concentration!!!

Reply to
freeda

That has got to be a fake.....

Reply to
freeda

Rubbish. If you grab them hard enough they just stop. Never lost a finger yet.

Mind you, we used to keep an old rag to throw at them to do that.

In the days before superglue, to glue up the gashes, the blood stains

on the models got irritating.

Glo fuel is a good disinfectant.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The starter-less Aeroncas were noted for frequent flyaways when hand propped. Bill(oc)

Reply to
Bill Sheppard

I doubt that the picture is fake. I have seen similar feats in the past during airshows. But I think the story was, the pilot climbed out of the plane (a J3 Cub) with a rag to wipe off the bugs on the prop and windsheld and climbed back in to start it again. He had been down low in a grassy area and climbed up for altitude to shut off the engine to do the stunt. For those who have never seen it, it is truly amazing what some of those old "Flying Farmers" could do with an old Cub. You just do not see them at the modern airshows anymore. rick markel

My Model Aircraft Home Page

Aileron37

I was thinking, as per thread (the Piper Cub not having electric start), that the engine had stalled, and he was attempting to start it again whilst airbourne. Actually would that be possible, how much 'leverage' would be required to start one of those.

Reply to
freeda

It's entirely possible, if he can reach the prop. Many times, I watched my old friend, "Papa" Cargile, crank his Cub with one hand, standing behind the prop...

"Papa" didn't weigh 150 lbs... Had to carry a block of lead to maintain the CG when flying solo....

I sure miss my old pal.... Read his story here...

Bill

Reply to
Bill Fulmer

Somethings fake. . .that 'N' number belongs to a 1974 Bellanca 7KCAB.

Reply to
bear

Now, _that's_ rubbish . . . Cheers, Fred McClellan The House Of Balsa Dust

Fred McClellan

Also, as I have heard, flying solo, you sit in the back, and the Cub is very light weight, I know it is stable, but surely standing that far forward and to the side, with no one on the stick, it aint going to keep a level attitude for long.

Reply to
freeda

That wasn't the word I had in mind, Fred. :) Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

Were did you look? I have seen several of those aircraft registration sites that gave the wrong aircraft type for planes I flew or could not even find them listed. The other thing that hit me was, at what airspeed would a Cub have to be before the prop would windmill? I guess it would depend on the engine/prop combo. When I saw the stunt years ago, the pilot only spent a moment outside the airplane at the prop and a bit longer wiping the bugs off the windshield. I know when I lost the power in a 152 during a series of stalls, the prop stopped for a second or two till my tiny brain caught up to the fact that the damn thing in the front had stopped turning and I was still in the air and not on the ground. I only recall the prop windmilling around 80 knots or so while I was off the starter for short periods of time. I had a field picked out and plenty of altitude to loose, so I also used the airspeed to help turn over the engine till she caught on again (carb ice). Personally, I was ready to go for it. I had a really great instructor who taught a lot of "stick and rudder" and other cool things you can do.

rick markel

My Model Aircraft Home Page

Aileron37

Hehehe...well MY first engine (also in about 1958) was an ETA .29 and a little later my second engine was an MS .29 (an Aussie copy of the Dooling :).

Brian

David AMA40795 / KC5UH wrote:

Reply to
Brian Hampton

You thought scars were neat???? After the Ginsu treatment ONCE, and got glow fuel in the cuts, I got smart VERY QUICKLY.

David

Reply to
David AMA40795 / KC5UH

tom johnston scribed in :

oh cool, so having been hit by my Baby Bee prop back in 1982 I'm safe now, even though I swapped it for a train set in 1983?

swarf, steam and wind

-- David Forsyth -:- the email address is real /"\

\ / ASCII Ribbon campaign against HTML E-Mail > - - - - - - -> X If you receive email saying "Send this to everyone you know," / \ PLEASE pretend you don't know me.

Reply to
DejaVU

I wince to think about it, but in '56 or so, after I had smashed my cox P-40 (did anyone actually get one of those pretty bricks airborne for a full circle?) we would hold the engine in one hand, start it, and then release it to see it helicopter. But then, we also held lit M-80's till the fuse got short so they exploded in the air when we threw them. Few things dumber than an 8 year old farm boy with 3 friends to egg him on!

Reply to
TexMex

OK, Now you are conjuring all sorts of memories.

Reply to
Dirtnap

If there was anything left to stich

Reply to