13th Floors

I hope you will forgive my imposing with such an odd query. I am currently
writing a book on the number 13 for Penguin Putnam, which will examine
superstitions related to 13 from 13 perspectives (e.g., psychology, history,
mythology, etc.). A section of the book will examine ways in which beliefs
about 13 have historically been incorporated into architecture and design.
I wondered if you could possibly make these questions available to your firm's
architects or to a representative who may be able to answer them?
Have you noticed a decline in the number of clients/buildings with 13 or more
floors omitting the 13th floor designation in recent years?
If so, when do you think that the trend toward omission peaked?
Are certain kinds of buildings/categories of clients more likely than others to
request omission/inclusion of a 13th floor?
How do you approach the issue with clients? In other words, at the outset do
you include a designated 13th floor in your plans? Do you have an explicit
conversation about the subject? If so, at what stage? How do you approach the
issue--seriously, tongue-in-cheek?
How does this issue vary from country to country?
Are buildings with 13 or more floors that use the 13th floor designation more
or less unlucky than those that omit it? (!)
Are there any other building/architecture-related superstitions you have come
across in your work? If so, what are they?
Thank you in advance for allowing me to impose, and for your time. Please email
I would, of course, be happy to acknowledge your firm in my book.
Sincerely,
Nathaniel Lachenmeyer
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com
Reply to
NLachenmeyer
Don't forget that AutoCAD R13 was a dog!
Reply to
Terry Rawkins
LOL
Reply to
Glenn Ogreenc
In China they don't have 4th floors because the word for the number "four" and the word "to die" sound the same.
Reply to
Wendy