Acad2000 vs. Acad2005

Is Acad2005 worth upgrading from Acad200? What 3d tools does Acad2005 have that Acad2000 does not have?
Thanks for your input!

You can't afford to not upgrade. It ties 2D drawings to 3d drawings, so that when you make changes it 3D they automatically change 2D and Vice versa.

Huh?

I other words they are doing what others have been doing for years.
Brian
| I other words they are doing what others have been doing for years. | | Brian | |
That's what I was thinking also ...
Alex

Of course that assumes you draw in 3D. Significant numbers still draw only in 2D.
| > You can't afford to not upgrade. | > It ties 2D drawings to 3d drawings, so that when | > you make changes it 3D they automatically change 2D and Vice versa. | | Of course that assumes you draw in 3D. | Significant numbers still draw only in 2D.
Can you elaborate on that ? I'm curious to know what applications would be 2D only. I can imagine that in land survey, for instance drawing the route for a pipeline through the country, 2D might be the simpliest way to go, but whenever you're dealing with real life objects you start with 3D. At least that's what I'm thinking of it.
Alex
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (AHA) wrote:

Thousands and thousands of engineering companies still use 2D only. After all, engineering and architectural drawing survived quite well for 100s of years without 3D.
There is no doubt (to my mind) that a 3D representation is very useful to show the nature of a design to someone not used to relating plan views and elevations, but it is not essential. A lot of that could be done using simple isometric views.
Apart from that, 3D drawing in Acad is, I find, a long-winded process. I think there are better systems out there for doing it!

What other CAD systems are there that work to give 3D drawings easier than AutoCAD? Just a simple question from a newbie, I have no opinions at this stage :)
Cheers Mike the Kiwi

Try downloading 'Blender' for modelling. Free. As a start. www.blender.org
Then there's Rhino, which is very good and expensive...
No doubt others will recommend ones that they use.
Inventor, Solidworks, ProEngineer, Mastercam, Turbocad, Alebre Design, Rhino. Shall I go on?

AutoCAD?

Certainly! I am very interested :)
Surfcam, Ironcad, ProDesktop, Catia. There are more but that's all I can think of at the time. They all have one thing in common though. They were meant as 3d programs, where AutoCAD was not. AutoCAD was never intended to be for the serious 3D modeler. 2D was, and is, it's primary purpose. For more extensive modeling, Autodesk has Inventor (on the mechanical side), a good program. These programs are not necessarily "easier" than AutoCAD, they are just far more capable of producing far more sophisticated models. For a complete history of AutoCAD, go here: http://www.fourmilab.ch/autofile / It was written by John Walker, founder of Autodesk. Hope you have some time. It's 900 pages.

Different guy.

Design,
Buildings tend to be built from paper copies, which are 2D. For the types of projects I work on (electrical) the fees I can charge won't allow for the extra time drawing in 3D would take, and the architects don't provide 3D drawings for backgrounds. Even if they did, the 3D would only have value if it was assured that the structure would be built exactly as drawn. They never are. If I was designing an airplane I'd want to use 3D, but I don't see much value for most architectural design.
Martin
AHA wrote:

The Importance of 2D CAD
And the decline in standards and quality of information provided in computer generated drawings from both Architects and Engineers alike!
Below is a link to a letter I sent in to the verulam pages of the structural engineer the journal of the Institution of Structural Engineers. It was published in the 5th June 2002 : Volume 90 : Number 11 edition.
The response to this article was quite staggering, Indeed it was an email from a member in France that alerted me that it had been printed.
http://www.cadalot.co.uk/how_to_draw/import_2d_cad.htm
Alan (Cadalot)
On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 09:54:36 +0200, "AHA"

I see others have already responded. My pennyworth is that I see hundreds of companies in mechanical engineering that only use 2D. Drawings used to MAKE things are 2D. 3D models can make pretty pictures but to date in my sphere of mechanical engineering there is NO productivity gain in 3D. 2D drawings produced from 3D are almost always inferior to those produced straight in 2D, not least because 2D draughting is a skill in its own right and 3D designers aren't 2D draughtsmen (we might have an argument over that). Once had a subbie who spent 2 weeks doing some 3D drawings. They were wrong, so a good 2D CAD draughtsman redrew them from scratch in 3 days! AutoCAD is not the best 3D CAD system (or even the best 2D CAD system ??). Why use AutoCAD, "people use AutoCAD because people use AutoCAD"

be 2D

for a

whenever
what

Nobody has ever asked for a 3D model, only 2D drawings

mechanical
it
this.
Not so, what they actually do is give them to a guy to make the parts and being skilled he can read 2D drawings

produced
or
be
can
this,
It appears your sphere of work is quite different to mine. 15% of drawings go to machine shops ALL of which employ skilled machinists. The remainder go to sheet metal fabricators and steelwork fabricators. The comon thread is all the guys can read 2D drawings and 3D models would not help them.

He was just lousy then, full stop.