Acad2000 vs. Acad2005

Certainly! I am very interested :)

Reply to
Mike the Kiwi

Surfcam, Ironcad, ProDesktop, Catia. There are more but that's all I can think of at the time. They all have one thing in common though. They were meant as 3d programs, where AutoCAD was not. AutoCAD was never intended to be for the serious 3D modeler. 2D was, and is, it's primary purpose. For more extensive modeling, Autodesk has Inventor (on the mechanical side), a good program. These programs are not necessarily "easier" than AutoCAD, they are just far more capable of producing far more sophisticated models. For a complete history of AutoCAD, go here:

was written by John Walker, founder of Autodesk. Hope you have some time. It's 900 pages.

Reply to
CW

Why would they? You're paying for it.

The first person in the shop to get them is the guy that redraws them in 3D.

You don't understand modern manufacturing, obviously. The days of the file and the scraper are gone. I realize that, living in the UK, high tech methods are not nearly as common as some places but it would be in your best interest to educate yourself on the processes available.

Reply to
CW

Johnny Walker huh? Hmmm, wasn't he of "Scotch" origin? And I dare say also the founder of the 'other' kind of whiskey! (Bourbon man myself ...lol)

Reply to
Mike the Kiwi

Different guy.

the founder of the 'other' kind of whiskey! (Bourbon

Reply to
CW

I have AutoCad 2000, ADT 3.3, 2005 and Vector Works.

I am LEAVING AutoCad. ADT 2005 is good, but the new lic. agreement is ruinous. Vectorworks is 30% the price and 100%+ in capabilities, and you don't have to buy whole seat for summer interns, which 2005 will require you to do. Vectorwork's 3D capabilites are superior to AutoCad by far. Vectorworks is alot closer to Revit. I think the new lic. agreement is going to push alot of people over the brink with their frustration with AutoCad, and rightfully so.

YOUR PAYING 3X FOR NO GOOD REASON IF YOUR USING AUTOCAD. Everything is transferable between it and other programs(granted not with intelligence in the blocks. But your Consultants don't use that stuff anyway) via dxf, and dwg interpretation software(+/- $30) . The legacy arguement is also falacious because you can export your current library into dxf. Actually with Vector works I can just open dwg files as is - interpreter built-in to the software.

SYONARA AUTODESK !

Reply to
JS