Anglo-american standards

Where I could buy or download anglo-american standards relating to technical drawing? Especially I am interested is there any standard that unifies styles of
drawing; for example: If one company use white color for main lines and other red color that takes a lot of time to accomodate drawings according to company's standard. I know that in Croatia and Europe there are not such standards but maybe there are in USA or Australia??
Thanks...
CAD Solutions: http://www.izvori.hr/inproject.htm

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.com
Michael Bulatovich wrote:

Closest thing to an American standard is ASME/ANSI Y14.5, but it's really not a drafting standard and won't give you such things as standard layers/colors, fonts or "style". It's a dimensioning standard and closely parallels ISO standards.
Mark 'Sporky' Stapleton Watermark Design, LLC http://www.h2omarkdesign.com

Btw, is it much different than ISO standards? Soon I have to make some drawings for american company that will instal its equipment in Australia, so this information could be very useful..
**************************************************** Homepage: http://www.inet.hr/prince CAD Solutions: http://www.izvori.hr/inproject.htm
Sinisa Knezevic wrote:

Not greatly different, no. The biggest difference is the use of 3rd angle projection (in American ASME/ANSI standards) as opposed to 1st angle projection (in European ISO standards).
'Sporky'
For an Introduction to First and Third Angle Projection see link below
http://www.cadalot.co.uk/how_to_draw/1st-and-3rd-angle-projection.pdf
Regards
Alan (Cadalot)
On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 16:52:10 -0400, Sporkman

ROFLMFAO......... Wow, you've really complicated something so very very simple!!

Hehe. Yeah.....and I still don't get it!
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.com

OMG, Wooly. See link:
http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-query.asp?String=exact&Acronym=ROFLMFAO&Find=Find
TIA
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.com
wrote:

instal its

Surely it's just a case of "Draw the plan view. Look at the object from one side. Draw what you see 'on that side of the plan view'." Third Angle. 'Draw what you see on the other side of the plan view' - First Angle.
(CW) wrote:

The method I use to obtain correct visualization of rotations is different to both of you and cadalot, but any method that works for ya sure doesn't have anything wrong with it.
For me, First angle is like the subject object (if there is such a thing ...lol) is simply sitting on my desk and the way I draw it is the way and position I see it in if I just roll it horizontally or vertically, on the other hand, Third angle is like I have the item sitting against the underside of a sheet of glass and how it would roll, how I would see it, and in the respective position against the underside of that see-thru surface. Visualizing it takes a micron, explaining it takes longer. Not always easy for someone to pick up in text, but I know from my own experience that people pick it up within a few moments if I teach them one on one.
Cheers Mike the kiwi
free.com

Pretty much the same as my bowl method.
free.com

up
snipped-for-privacy@bigfootDOT.com (Sporkman) wrote:

ISO might refer to 1st angle, but I think most U.K. companies use 3rd angle as a matter of course. It is the more logical of the two choices, I feel. I get somewhat frustrated looking at German motor/gearbox catalogues that show motor and box combinations and mounting arrangement in 1st angle. Head-scratching becomes the order of the day!
Absolutely right 3rd angle is what is used. irrespective of what ISO (or current BS) says. I explain it to young trainees like this :- You've just drawn the side elevation of a steam locomotive (choose a long one like a BR 9F) Now, which end do you want to draw the end elevation showing the inside of the cab at? They soon see the logic of 3rd angle projection.
And by the way, what is the decimal seperator? Yes, its a " . " NOT a " , " whatever the standard says! "BS 4 FAT LADIES" , sorry BS8888 has lost its way.
(Sporkman) wrote:

(designer) wrote:

I blame the EU myself. Must do what they do on the other side of the channel :-(
Don't be defeatist. I think the problem lies with insufficient backing being given by British industry to BS so they have the backbone to kick some of this 'imported' stuff into touch.

(designer) wrote:

Me? Defeatist? You have to be joking. We went metric in 1972 (the company I worked for, that is!). Once had to do a job for a local ship repair company that still worked in fractions of an inch, to 1/128". Blew my head away (as one might say). It was always 3rd angle - American company... ...and they went metric. Good for them.
I think I must just have beaten you to metrication. Metrication together with electronic calculators must have been the greatest productivity gain in the drawing office. Was able to consign Inskips Combined Tables to propping up the desk!