AutoCAD vs. AutoCAD Lt

I run a small landscape architecture firm and we are debating about whether or not to upgrade to full blown AutoCAD or settle for AutoCAD lt. I am trying to get a straight answer from someone on what the real differences are and cannot seem to get a straight answer from my friendly neighborhood AutoCAD salesman (suprise!) We do a lot of drafting work, use xrefs, and from time to time import raster images into our drawings. If LT does this for $800 per station, then what justification is there for spending $3K per station on AutoCAD? Am I missing something here?

Reply to
Dneck

Jerry G

No. But take a look a things like slingshot from drcauto if you haven't already.

If you're satisfied with what you've got, you probably don't need to change it - although you could consider upgrading one workstation and seeing what benefit that affords to the practice as a whole.

Reply to
strawberry

LT doesn't support working with images. There are work-arounds, you may not like the result. Yes LT honors xrefs, but it does not support the xref commands available in the full version, like x-clip. Since you indicate that you are a landscaping architectural firm, I would recommend the full version. If you were a landscaping contractor I would say go with LT. You may want to split the difference and buy at least one seat of full version and LT for the rest.

Reply to
Chip Harper

just curious - what actually happens when you type _image?

Reply to
strawberry

The "Image Manager" window opens; it allows you to work with images that may already be in the drawing, but there's no "import" or "insert" option. ___

Reply to
Paul Turvill

ah yes, now I remember - that's where drcauto comes in

Reply to
strawberry