deleting layers

trying to delete layers I am getting the error "cannot delete layers ...... x-ref (etc,etc)" how can I find out what it is that is blocking the deletion and then how do I proceed to get the layers deleted??

regards fred evans

Reply to
Fred Evans

Well try hiding the layers except the one you are trying to delete. It well then show what is on that layer. delete what is there or move to another layer. You should be able to delete the layer.

JD

Reply to
uNkulunkulu

thanks - that seems to work

regards

Reply to
Fred Evans

back again-- doesnt work on all the layers

Any more suggestions??

regards

Reply to
Fred Evans

Not exactly true all the time. There may be nothing on the layer to "see". It could contain only an insertion point for a block that only has entities in it which are on other layers.

Further, the reason for the inability to purge the layers could be due to other factors like:

Layer is defined in a block which is not inserted Layer is frozen in a floating viewport

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Show only that one layer; hide all other layers. Then erase "all". Set some other layer current. Then you may be able to delete the layer in question. In case of a problem, try listing only the unused layers, and see whether the layer in question is unused.

Dick Alvarez alvarez at svpal dot org

Reply to
Dick Alvarez

Reply to
Kitty

michael was pretty complete with his answer - we are not surprized.

if the layers you want to delete are on and thawed and you zoom extents and can select no entities.....

the layers could be referenced in a block or in a floating (paper space) viewport. or it could be in a block which is defined but not inserted.

I am guessing, but it could be a layer that is used in a dimension style that is not being used.

if that don't help, I would WBLOCK out all of model space and see if it follows along.

regards roy

Reply to
roy

And then to add to all of the problems... I've found in trying to do what you are attempting, that sometimes there will be something in a Block (ie: a small line, node, or something)... that has a different colour, etc.

If that happens, you either have to just accept the fact that it's there for good, or find out which block has the junk in it.

Regards,

BruceF

Reply to
Mr. B

Hello all I am back again and i will answer all the questions in this one post

(sorry I posted twice and i realise the confusion caused)

  1. Kitty replied a. why i want to delete the layers. I have a drawing that has about 4 duplications of the same info under different layer names and i want to get it all sorted out b. check all x -refs how do i check each x-ref for where it is used?( i think this may be where the problem lies c. wblock I cant find any file with a similar reference or that may be a wblock

  1. micheal suggested layer defined as a block there is a named view of this part of the drawing how do i delete the view?? frozen viewports I am not sure what this means?

roy suggests I wblock all workspace and see what happens If I do wblock does this mean that all is written to a file and "moved " off the current into another file?? cant quite get my mind around the wblock conncept

regards

fred

Reply to
Fred Evans

Do you know anyone more experienced nearby? Sounds to me like you need to get someone to help you, or to get yourself more familiar with the software. These are not exactly basic, beginner type steps.

I have a lisp routine on my site called "NEXT" that could help you, combined with the LIST command, to sort out how the file is put together. Download it to a known directory, then APPLOAD it from acad, and run it by typing "NEXT" at the command prompt.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

I think I would suggest you check what xrefs you have. I'm flying blind here.

Obviously you did not create this file, you are working from someone else's stuff. I don't make xrefs myself, because my drawings are simple. but....

type "xref" on the command line and that should bring up the dialog box that will list the xrefs and how they are loaded, whether they are bound, etc.

If you have duplication of entities in different xrefs (save copies before you do ANYTHING permanent) it might be easiest to delete the entities and the layers (read: "do your editing")in the xref files themselves.

if WBLOCK is something you are unfamiliar with, and you have a file full of xrefs I am afraid you have major headaches ahead of you.

WELCOME TO THE CLUB.

Reply to
roy