IGS

In AutoCAD, how do import a *.igs file? Looked all over and can't seem to find how.

Reply to
jpk

Use the command igesin on the Command line, then enter the name of the file.

Must be done on a completely empty drawing setup, i.e. a 'start form scratch' format, with nothing having been created in the drawing beforehand.

Reply to
Brian Salt

When entering igesin in AutoCAD R14, I get a message "discontinued command". Do I need an older version of AutoCAD or is there an add-on program that will translate an iges file.

Reply to
jpk

You are right. It does give 'discontinued command'!

The information was obtained from an R12 customization manual.

I did find this (mind the line wrap):

but it is for 2000 and above.

and then there is this:

Brian Salt

Both of those links cannot be found. That's what the web page is telling me.

Reply to
jpk

They won't work by just clicking on them. Copy and paste them to your browser. Copy each line.

Reply to
CW

Reply to
Robert

You will need to highlight *both* lines and paste them, hence to comment "watch the line wrap".

I tried to get a 'tiny-url', but that failed to produce anything from Tinyurl.com

Brian.

Reply to
Brian Salt

You need the Autodesk Inventor Series version of AutoCAD. Post the IGES over at

and someone will do the conversion for you.

Reply to
jmather

So which is it, Inventor or Autocad. There is a difference.

Reply to
CW

Have a look at the file in a text editor. To me the extension is that of an IGES file (Initial Graphics Exchange Specification) - something similar to DXF. The start of the file should give it away.

If it is an IGES file, then Autodesk stopped providing a way of getting it into AutoCAD without having to buy an additional piece of software. Maybe Inventor now has a way of reading an IGES file, either way it is an additional purchase.

If the file has been provided to you, then it might be a case of asking the sender to send it in a format you can read.

Reply to
Ian A. White