IGS

In AutoCAD, how do import a *.igs file? Looked all over and can't seem to find how.

snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com (jpk) wrote:

Use the command igesin on the Command line, then enter the name of the file.
Must be done on a completely empty drawing setup, i.e. a 'start form scratch' format, with nothing having been created in the drawing beforehand.
When entering igesin in AutoCAD R14, I get a message "discontinued command". Do I need an older version of AutoCAD or is there an add-on program that will translate an iges file.
snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com (jpk) wrote:

You are right. It does give 'discontinued command'!
The information was obtained from an R12 customization manual.
I did find this (mind the line wrap):
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?id (89505&linkID$75323&sit eID3112
but it is for 2000 and above.
and then there is this:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?id (97612&linkID$75323&sit eID3112
Both of those links cannot be found. That's what the web page is telling me.
They won't work by just clicking on them. Copy and paste them to your browser. Copy each line.

snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com (jpk) wrote:

You will need to highlight *both* lines and paste them, hence to comment "watch the line wrap".
I tried to get a 'tiny-url', but that failed to produce anything from Tinyurl.com
Brian.
http://www.fpsols.com/iges_import_ac.html

jpk wrote:

You need the Autodesk Inventor Series version of AutoCAD. Post the IGES over at http://discusion.autodesk.com and someone will do the conversion for you.
So which is it, Inventor or Autocad. There is a difference.

Have a look at the file in a text editor. To me the extension is that of an IGES file (Initial Graphics Exchange Specification) - something similar to DXF. The start of the file should give it away.
If it is an IGES file, then Autodesk stopped providing a way of getting it into AutoCAD without having to buy an additional piece of software. Maybe Inventor now has a way of reading an IGES file, either way it is an additional purchase.
If the file has been provided to you, then it might be a case of asking the sender to send it in a format you can read.